Chicken S-Oops!

moosemacOctober 7, 2012

Friday morning I was looking for something to take to work for lunch. I tend to be very frugal and try to use up leftovers. In the fridge was a about a quarter cup of diced chicken, some left over sauteed mushrooms and a bit of chicken stock. I plopped the above ingredients in a saucepan, threw in a bit of raw rice, a splash of dry vermouth and some roasted garlic and let it simmer while I got ready for work.

When I went to put the soup in a container, I noticed the soup was a little dry so I dug into the freezer for some chicken "juice" or stock, "juice" being the beautiful liquid on the bottom of a pan after roasting chicken. I distinguish between juice and stock because I like juice to flavor rice and stock for soups. Juice is usually a smaller quantity package so for this quick soup I figured I'd just grab a small package to add to the luscious soup.

Here's the oops to the soup. In my rush, I grabbed a bag that was labeled juice but I did not internalize the first word on the bag and made the assumption since it was golden yellow, it was chicken juice. Nope. Unaware, I grabbed pineapple juice, tossed it in the soup and headed to work. Lunch time came and I heated the soup, salivating over the delicious lunch I was about to consume. One bite and I knew something was drastically wrong! OMG it was disgusting! Pineapple juice, dry vermouth, garlic and chicken are NOT a good combination.

Did I mention I keep a bar of dark chocolate in my desk and it was Friday??? Whew, lunch was saved!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momj47

Sweet and sour chicken?......

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 2:03PM
stuartwanda

Ha, Sweet and sour chicken soup, I like that mom47!

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 6:37AM
publickman

I would think that it is a mistake to label chicken stock as "juice" - at least without the word "chicken" in front of the word "juice". I store juice and stock on different shelves in the freezer, but I label stock with the type of stock it is as well as the date I make it. I've never heard of storing pineapple juice in a bag in the freezer - I keep it in the fridge and use it up before it goes bad.

Lars

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 11:44AM
lindac

I often make a chicken salad, with onions, celery and pineapple bits....and I also will make a "thing" with leftover chicken, mushrooms, celery, slivered almonds and pineapple bits in a white sauce to serve over rice. It sounds wonderful to me!

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 11:44AM
johnliu_gw

Of such mistakes, are discoveries made.

I sometimes think we should make one incongruous, random, bizarre food combination a week. How else will we invent new dishes?

This week, how about beets + ice cream?

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 12:51PM
annie1992

I do like sweet and sour chicken, but I'm not sure that would translate well into soup, LOL.

If it helps, I opened an unlabelled pint jar of what I thought was chicken broth last week. It was homecanned white grape juice, I'm glad I tasted THAT...

John, I think beet ice cream might be good. They made ice cream with avocados and garlic, nuts, herbs (mint is an herb, you know). Beets are naturally sweet and I have a chocolate cake recipe that calls for beets, so it might be pretty good, plus a very pretty color.

Annie

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 1:00PM
rob333

That's what I was thinking, um Hawaiian Chicken? No? I would've eaten the bar instead too.

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 1:39PM
lindac

You can have my share of beet ice cream...I'll have my beets either buttered or pickled.

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
My lastest kitchen purchase
Some of you may remember me talking about our local...
annie1992
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
Need Recipe Help
Need Recipe Help Our church hosts a Lenten Luncheon...
blueheron
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™