finishing items - need to get out of ABB club!

rjl443February 10, 2014

Hi -

We redid our 1978 kitchen last year (late 2012) - a few things that we "cheated" on:

1. Used basic black handles with 96mm width - I figured that width would give us good choices to put what we wanted in - and I needed to stop using the "Commando" hooks/curling ribbing that I had done in desperation. Where is a good place to get handles/pulls online?

2. Backsplash - we did IKEA Medium Brown/Colonial Cream countertop - oak flooring that was already here (want to lighten it to natural though)

3. Flooring fill-in/repair - we did a temporary fix for an adoption home study - with vinyl tiles - it looks awful but passed the home study.

4. Sinks - we got Blanco Silgranit Performa 1.75 Medium Bowl Sink and square singranit single bowl island sink - both in biscotti - I cannot keep this color clean, it drives me NUTS. Is it possible to change it out with a different color sink? I know how to clean it, I just don't want to see every mark until I get to clean it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Roberta

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellytoast

Regarding your sink, some countertop installers like to "sandwich" the sink in between the plywood underlayment and the countertop material. If your sink was installed like that, removing it won't be without issues ... it will need to be cut out from underneath.

I'm not sure what you're asking with questions 2 and 3 ... ? If you are asking for help choosing a backsplash, pictures of your existing materials would likely help.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 5:09PM
Trebruchet

Roberta:

As jellytoast indicated, the ease or lack thereof of changing your sink depends on how it was installed and the configuration of your tops/splashes.

The plywood would be the worst. Expect to pay $300.00 - $900.00 for labor.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 6:27PM
twosit

Thanks for posting this--I have been considering one of the light colored granite sinks. I understand exactly what you mean about it looking bad until you get around to cleaning it..that was my problem with stainless and cast iron. I guess I will stick with the darker silgranite color as I love my anthracite one now.
I purchased my pulls from Overstock and I am happy with them.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Polished Nickel or Chrome Sink Drain?
I am about to purchase a Rohl polished nickel bridge...
kitchenkrazed09
glazzio waterfall tile
considering glazzio waterfall tile in my kitchen for...
munnybunni
Best type of rug to protect hardwood floors in kitchen?
I found an older thread which discusses choices of...
juliedrew
Old World vs. Classic Kitchen--trying to figure out what I want
For the last several months I have been using the below...
2LittleFishies
Can we still email.....
like you could on the old GW, if you were set up to...
bicyclegirl1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™