Help! gel stained cabinets too glossy.

10yearprojectJanuary 20, 2013

Hi, I am new but have been lurking these forums for years. I appreciate all of the great advice and ideas I have gotten. I tried searching and can't find the answer to this dilemma.

I just did a section of our kitchen cabinets using Celticmoon's gel stain process over honey oak cabinets. When it came time to seal them, I used Minwax's polycrylic in satin sheen. It is as glossy as if I had used a high gloss finish! Every single fingerprint shows and I am stumped at how to fix this or why this happened. I only applied 2 coats. (Maybe I didn't stir it enough before applying?) Preferably the answer is not to sand and start over. I have learned my lesson, when I do the next phase of the kitchen I will use the General Finishes sealer. Can these cabinets be saved?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ging

Don't worry, they can be saved. What you need to do is an old woodworkers trick. You may have to search a little to find this, but get some 0000 steel wool. Do NOT use regular steel wool - it must be the 0000. This is an extremely fine wool that you can use to 'scuff' the finish. Don't do this in a circular motion; use straight lines and it would be best if you used a product like 'Elbow Grease' with it. You run less chance at having visible marks left if you use some sort of lubricant. At this point a lot of woodworkers would say to recoat it with a lower sheen, but since you used satin I hesitate to recommend anything else. If you use a different product over the top of the Minwax you will need more and different prep.
Go lightly with the steel wool; it doesn't take a lot of pressure and again, you will have less chance at visible marks if you do.
Best of luck,
Ging

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 10:55AM
lazy_gardens

You didn't stir it enough ... the satin sheen particles are hard to get off the bottom of the can.

The 0000 steelwool, or an ultra-fine sanding sponge (400 grit) will dull the finish a bit for you.

If you can get pool filter diatomaceous earth, it makes a great gloss killer. Make a paste of it in some lemon oil and rub in straight lines, with the grain, then remove the lemon oil residue with mineral sprits.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 12:39PM
snookums2

"diatomaceous earth"

Wear a mask when mixing this! It's very fine airborne particles, like fiberglass.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 1:01PM
SparklingWater

"diatomaceous earth"

Yes, I believe it is touted as helpful in bed bug control too (not implying anything just read you sprinkle it where they hide out).

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
Can I use exterior latex paint in the broom closet?
I want to paint a small broom closet with paint I have...
caroline94535
Complementary colors for Putnam Ivory?
Hi, my new basement is painted BM Putnam Ivory (IRL...
mom2sulu
What colour to paint/stain stairs?
We have the golden oak stairs (see pic) and are wanting...
abbabug
Wall color for dark gray couch with yellow accent pillows
Wondering what wall color would look good with a dark...
hammy5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™