How to get a decent insulation contractor?

richard904December 23, 2009

We need to add some insulation into our home which includes a visible rim joist area, a ceiling area below the house entrance, and a knee wall space where insulation was never placed on a cathederal ceiling. These are not large jobs - rather obnoxious small jobs where we want to use foam, but it is way too much to be a DIY particularly with foam. The rub is how to get a good, "best practices," professional insulation contractor that will do smaller jobs? In Kansas I do not think there is any state wide certification; if there were, it would be a starting list. Kansas City Power & Light has a good web page listing energy auditors and contractors that (I think) they recommend, but I do not really know the criteria. The first two I called never responded I think due to the size of the job. What would you do? Actually cost is not a big issue.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inox

I had my attic and exterior walls insulated with cellulose, but I think the research approach I used might work for you.

First, try to find out what type of insulation is correct for your project, then try to find out who makes the best version of that insulation. Next, call the insulation manufacturer to see if they can suggest an installer.

I started at www.cellulose.org, went to www.nationalfiber.com, and was referred to http://www.aainsulationinc.com/. It was so easy I was suspicious of my good fortune. The house was warmer and quieter before the job was even half done.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blackcats13

We use Angie's List. Unrelated: It's not only helpful for finding contractors, but I've also used it to try and get somewhat of an idea of what something might cost when I haven't the slightest idea. A lot of the reviews include the cost of the job and reading the description or comments can give a bit of an idea of what was done. Not at all accurate, but when you don't know if a job costs $500 or $5,000 it can be a starting point.

For our insulation we cross referenced Angie's List with the list we were given by our energy auditor.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™