Does anyone have a sunporch?

lavender_lassDecember 4, 2010

I have been working on plans to remodel my small farmhouse. I've had to make a few changes, due to some concerns about chimney placement, etc. so I now have the dining room in front...with room for a small sunporch. This is something I've always wanted and I think the south corner of the house is the perfect place for it.

Anyway, it's not big (about 13' x 10') but I only need room for a big buffet, a couple of chairs, a table and maybe a small ottoman (in case I want to put my feet up and read a book).

My purpose for the room, is to have a place for a star jasmine (maybe a few herbs) and some other plants that won't do well with our cold winters, somewhere for the kitties to enjoy the sun...and a place for me to have tea with family and friends. If I need more space, we can move to the dining table, since it's just through the french doors.

I have a lot of teacups and saucers, teapots, and other tea "stuff" LOL that I want to display on the buffet and the shelves in the dining room (along with a few books). I've included a picture of my plan (which is very different from my old one) but I think it makes a better use of the space...and the views out the back.

If you have any ideas, comments, pictures or links, I'd love to see them. I'm looking for ideas/pictures to pick windows, flooring, finishes, etc. as well as style and anything tea realted! :)

Any ideas for the kitchen, little seating area by the fire, or any other spaces are welcome, too. I've included a photo of a kitchen that I like (but I'd prefer a white sink and antique brass faucet and hardware) and a picture of my french country theme.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoshCT

I don't have a sunporch, but wish I did. Many homes in the neighborhood where I grew up had sunporches. These typically had large casement windows, square quarry tile floors with flush grout, and were usually reached by french doors off the living room. I love them especially in winter!

Your plan looks, to me, much better than your earlier plan, but probably quite a bit more expensive as well. That is a lovely, HUGE laundry room, and the kitchen looks like it has a great layout! This layout looks particularly well suited to a cold climate, with the airlock entrances front and back and the sunporch and fireplace at the north (I presume) side of the house.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 6:32PM
joyce_6333

We call this the sunroom, but older people in town who remember the house in its early days refer to it as the conservatory. As you can see, I am still refinishing the wood in this room.

It is accessed through the french doors in the dining room as seen here. The link below is a pic of the sunroom itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunroom

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 11:18PM
lavender_lass

Josh- Thanks! Very nice of you to say so :)

It shouldn't be much more...believe it or not, there's only two feet more along the back and squaring in the corner, for the sunroom. It just seems to be a better use of space.

The airlocks are great for keeping out the cold...and for keeping the kitties in! Too many coyotes out here, for them to go outside, especially at night.

Joyce- Thank you for sharing the pictures...beautiful sunroom! Very pretty dining room, too. Are those french doors original to the house? They're very nice.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
monica_thompson
Sponsored Products
Pegasus Drain Tubes & Fittings Leg Tub Drain with Twist-and-Lift Stopper in
Home Depot
Classic Lighting Corporation Andromeda Chrome Five-Light Semi-Flush Mount Light
LuxeDecor
Acclaim Lighting Posts Telfair Collection Post-Mount 2-Light Outdoor Matte
$76.00 | Home Depot
Painterly Tiles Lamontage One-of-a-Kind Outdoor Rug
$595.00 | FRONTGATE
Construction Personalized Plate
$16.99 | zulily
Pinta 12 Satin Nickel One-Light TT Incandescent EDI Mini Stem Pendant with Clear
$328.50 | Bellacor
Currey & Company Coronation Sphere 16'' Wide Chandelier
$740.00 | LuxeDecor
Copa Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Garnet Glass
$337.50 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™