Kittywhiskers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenda_al

Here you go

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbirds

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 11:24PM
morz8

I don't get it, mine don't share. I've seen videos of groups, where I have two feeders in front outside this office window, another clear out of sight from it in back by my kitchen - They. Do. Not. Share. They don't even like humans walking past their feeders to the door, they get right in your face and beep, squeak ;)

If the weather is awful, like it has been for a few weeks this winter, I might have two land at once, take a few sips while watching each other warily, posturing, then they are off and squeaking and chasing each other again. Very territorial.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 11:34PM
lydia1959

If there are enough hummingbirds and a limited amount of feeders they will share. :) There is always a bully... but even bullies know when they are outnumbered.

Cool video!! I have maybe 60 hummingbirds at the most during a season.. and that is enough work filling 4 large feeders (1 holds a gallon of sugar water).

Hummers won't be here until April probably.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 11:57PM
bob_cville

The ones that visit our house are definitely of the do-not-share variety. We have three big patches of blue-black salvias in front of our house and if one hummingbird is feeding at one patch, and another hummingbird comes down even at another patch, the first bird will stop what it is doing and chase the second bird away.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 9:19AM
lindaohnowga

The ones that visit here don't share either.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 9:29AM
grandma_bonnie

Our hummingbirds are here year round. and they share. It's incentive for me to have the cleanest sink in town so I can watch them! They are such characters and I can stand right underneath them while they are feeding - I know, lucky me...

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 9:37AM
nicole__

Here they are @ my house last year, out the front door....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MiRx88hEis

Here is a link that might be useful: Out my front door last year, we have 6 feeders

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 11:59AM
sjerin

Wow! Do you live in a cool/cold area?

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 2:34PM
nicole__

I forgot to mention, I hang 6 feeders and they are ALL THAT busy.

It's Colorado. The hummingbirds are migratory. We have black chin, broad tailed, Caliope and roufus.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 2:51PM
morz8

We have the Anna's year round here - coastal Washington. Where they went for a warm night sleep that week in Dec it was dropping into the teens, then again this month, beats me....I just don't know. But they'd be back for thawed food right before daylight each morning.

I occasionally will find rufous, love seeing those. There was one that came to the feeders several times a day from end of March through July last year, then was gone again. I hope it's back this Spring.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 3:34PM
Fun2BHere

When my citrus trees are in bloom, the hummingbirds will swarm them like they are swarming the feeders in the video.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 6:08PM
adellabedella_usa

I've seen the hummingbirds like that in Colorado and New Mexico. The places had been set up to attract hummingbirds for several years. In one place the hummingbirds would even land on your fingers. So cool!

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Mattress recomendations
i was wondering if anyone has a foam mattress they...
Rose Pekelnicky
SNOW
Snowing hard, and every little twig is covered, can't...
susanwv
Come see me if you want a roller coaster ride!
It's 74 outside, at 4pm. Tomorrow hi will only be...
glenda_al
From being excited to being really sad
I was so excited that my refrigerator repairman was...
Georgysmom
I finally finished!!!
Year End is DONE!!! Took 4 days, about 3 days longer...
prairie_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™