Separation - crack between concrete porch & front door

deborahcDecember 4, 2012

Hello everyone,

We've asked a few contractors to give us a quote to repair this along with a myriad of other small repairs. They all seem to leave this issue off of their quote, I'm assuming because it's a real pain or they don't know what to do.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to fix this?

The porch appears to have been added approximately 10-20 years after the house was built in 1930. We don't believe it was part of the original construction.

It has since shifted a bit, and there is a crack between the front door and the porch of the house. How would you repair this?

The crack/separation is widest under the door, and gets gradually smaller as you move away from the door.

Here is a pic of the front of the house for reference

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
columbusguy1

You might try filling most of the gap with backer rod--it comes in various sizes, then use some concrete patch to fill in the surface.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 12:54PM
deborahc

Thanks Columbusguy- we'll look into that!

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 1:52PM
hendricus

This is the type of sealer that I see that our local Target store uses for expansion joints in the sidewalk and walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sealant

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:48PM
deborahc

Thanks! Adding it to the list of "things to buy" :)

I really appreciate the help.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 4:08PM
worthy

This is a very common issue that arises when concrete stoops are built separately from the house, typically with no compaction of the underlying soil. For decades now, new home builders have avoided the problem by just delivering the home with a couple of pre-cast steps that many homeowners replace with more elaborate landscaped steps.

In short: there is no permanent cure. You can remove them altogether, then either: excavate to undisturbed soil below the frostline and lay a proper footing and foundation and poured steps, tied into the existing foundation; or prepare a compacted base and have one-piece pre-cast porch or multi-piece pre-cast steps installed, as in the pic below.

Everything else is a cosmetic stopgap.

If replacing the existing threshold is on your list, you might want to see if an additional one could be extended over the intersection between the sinking stoop and the house.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™