Wallpaper removal

glittergirl_txJanuary 15, 2012

Hi Folks,

I've read a bunch of the wallpaper removal posts but most say to try to remove the top surface before using removers. In our bath remodel, previous owners had wallpaper, then applied paintable wallpaper with texture over that, then painted over that a least two times. We've tried the paper tiger with hot water and fabric softener but other than making it smell good, it's not working.

Will DIF or safe and simple be a better option or will they even work to cut through that many layers. We need to remove it because it's coming up in places. Our intention is once removed to have the walls taped/floated and retextured correctly. Our bath is 10x12 with 10' ceilings. UGH!!

Suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpchiil

If you are going to tape and float the entire surface, could you try using a utility knife to score (carefully) the paper and then apply the remover?

At least this would get though the layers of paint.

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 4:34PM
lascatx

If you are going to have the walls floated and prepped (as opposed to DIY) I'd consider whether it would cost you that much more to start with new sheetrock. I suspect it will be slow going for you and you might be taking off the top layer of the sheetrock as you go. It's the labor involved in taping, floating and texturing the room that makes up most of the cost of installing drywall and you're going to have that anyway. I'd save the time and aggravation -- as well as the risk of investing that time and possibly still having to replace, and start clean.

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 2:06AM
summer12

Hi. It may be too late for me to help you but I think that when you have that many layers on the wall you might be able to pull alot of it off dry if you can just get it started. I learned all about this from an ebook on wallpaper removal on amazon for next to nothing.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™