Floor Refinishing Folk Victorian

curatorextraordinaireDecember 15, 2013

I just purchased a c. 1899 Folk Victorian and need to refinish the wood floors. They are a very narrow board and light in color, perhaps not original but nevertheless old. What type of flooring and stain colors were traditional in this type of home? I don't know what color the finish should be.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

What would happen if you just cleaned them thoroughly?

The usual color was "natural", and the usual flooring was "whatever the budget could handle". I've seen maple, oak, cypress, teak, walnut, pine and hickory - all in the same neighborhood.

Very narrow, pale boards = maple? If so, staining it is difficult, and natural is lovely.

Can you post a closeup of the boards? And an overall shot of the floors?

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 4:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kashka_kat

If narrow probably floorboards are original. If light, I would guess maple. I would NOT stain vintage floors as the aged wood will have developed a beautiful rich amber glow not possible to duplicate with colored stains - just waterlox or some sort of clear finish is all you need. Sounds like you may not have had a lot of wood finishing experience? You may want to get some quotes if you are thinking of sanding - but be careful of the type of pro who wants to take off too much and try to make it look new. With vintage floors you need to be very conservative about not taking off too much - there's only so many sandings a floor can take. That's why the above poster's advice is agood, about trying cleaning and buffing first before thinking about sanding.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™