Wet brick in basement - how long does it take to dry?

aloha215December 10, 2007

I have a 1880s house - renovated last summer including the basement which was original dirt floor with brick. We took out the brick, lowered the floor a couple inches and lay a concrete slab, footings exposed. We then had a sewer back up and we had to rip out everything.

After this flood we discovered moisture and mold on our brick. We were told that it was a foundation issue and have now waterproofed the entire house, weeping tiles and all. The work was completed a week ago but the brick is still wet. I'm wondering if anyone know how long it takes for brick to dry? Or do we still have a problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower

depends on the humidity level of your basement -

a wet something in a wet room won't ever dry, like leaving a sponge in a plastic bag.

I would put a dehumidifier down there for a few days, and see if that helps -

I would also call the contractor, and ask THEM, since if they know what they're doing, they will either have an answer, or want to take a look at it.

Bookmark   December 10, 2007 at 10:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickman

It will take quite some time for the old bricks to dry out . Many of the older bricks can be quite porous and will absorb a lot of water ,you definately want to get some air circulation in there. As they do dry out you will probably notice a white furry substance come out of them. This is an efflorecence, my dad, who is an 86 yr old mason (only recently retired btw )also, calls it "Salt Peter".

Bookmark   December 10, 2007 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
How to get rid of the spiders?!
I love my old house, but so do spiders. My finished...
misslori
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™