New wood flooring for Victorian

bostonhomeDecember 31, 2009

I couldn't save the wood flooring in my 1870 Victorian house due to water damage when I bought it last year. I don't think it was the original floor, but need to replace it right now. I'm not sure what kind of wood and width would be period appropriate for my house. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I'm thinking clear Red Oak either 2 or 3 inch wide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

White oak, maple, walnut, ash, or heart (yellow) pine are all appropriate. Where available, fir was used. The typical width could have been 2 1/4 for the hardwoods, or 2 3/8, 2 7/8, or 3 3/8 in the softwoods (often a mix of widths). Could also have been a custom parquet inlay floor, or interesting french knot border details.
Red oak wasn't really used for much but framing until white oak stocks were exhausted mid last century. It's just not as good a wood.
Casey

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 11:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lido

In my geographic area, the "good" wood was used on the main floor, where one's guests/company would see it. That would mean white oak, walnut or the really good woods. The second floor, bedrooms and family quarters, had maple and then pine was in the attic.

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™