I'd like to remove drop ceiling and replace with wood....how to?

dmissyDecember 3, 2007

I cannot stand the last remaining drop ceiling in back mud room. Aside from drywall, is there a way to nail boards or maybe a rafter look? It is not a large area. Not sure, if I want to tackle or have someone do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jegr

Bead board is available at most of the building stores, lumber yards. It is what people use on porch ceilings. You will also need a piece of moulding to cover the joints at the walls. And it isn't easy to nail over your head.
How about some furring strips stained every 32"? Easier to install, makes a pattern. If the space is small, though, might be too busy. If the space is full of stuff, being a mud room, simplicity might be the best answer.

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikesj

I have been removing drop ceilings in my old house also and replacing them with tongue and groove beadboard. I've been using a white pickeling stain and then a satin poly to seal it.

To put up the boards, I fastened 2x4's to the joists (through a layer of nasty plaster) and shimmed them to level. Then I nailed the tongue and groove boards up with a brad nailer/small compressor. The finished product looks nice- I plan on doing the same in most of my rooms.

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™