1880 iowa farm house - a porch?

pinch_meNovember 21, 2010

The kitchen in my house used to be the porch. I want a porch again but how do I figure out how to do it? It's as plain jane as you can get. According to A Field Guide To American Houses it is a Folk Victorian. With the porch now incorporated into the house I don't see how I can add a new porch. I found lots of images under that heading but most of them don't match the book. The link I used below is as close as I got in a quick search.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

To help you maybe what we really need is a pic of your house. You'd be surprised what this group can come up with once they can see what they are dealing with.

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 3:30PM
pinch_me

I can't find a good one so I'll take a new one Thursday. Ice storm for tomorrow.

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 8:47PM
pinch_me

Here it is! To the west is a highly traveled gravel road. Can you say DUST? To the north is pasture. South is the driveway, I would rather not move it. East is already taken with buildings.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 11:36AM
kindred_ny

Are you in a position to do a major renovation, or just budgeting a few thousand for a porch? I'm wondering if you could build onto the back of the house (you gave NSEW, but I'm not good at figuring that out in relation to the photo! lol). Is the pasture yours so you could borrow space from it? Do you have land around the house to build onto? I think the addition on the front just looks out of place. With a carte blanche budget, I would remove it and relocate the kitchen. Then build the porch back on like it probably was originally. But I know budgets aren't always as large as we would like them to be!

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 12:27PM
pinch_me

Budget porch! I just did a major kitchen remodel. The gravel road would be on the left side of the picture. I own the pasture but my horses live in it. I would put a porch on the front door if it weren't so close to the road....or if there was a way to shield it from the dust. I am not going to pay the $1200 it would cost to have dust control each summer.

I'm certain the enclosure that is now the kitchen was the porch at one time. When I had it down to the studs I could see the prexisting doors and windows. It obviously was the porch, especially being a single story. The evidence I found suggests it was made into the kitchen in 1950.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Sponsored Products
5' Poly Lumber Horizontal Porch Swing
Fifthroom.com
Chelsea Harbor Outdoor Wall Sconce Lantern
Lightology
Compamia ISP052-TSG Crystal Polycarbonate Modern Dining Chair - Transparent Smok
$569.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Home and Porch Tybee Linen 7
Home Depot
Black and Tan 3-piece Tile Top Bistro Set
Overstock.com
Starfish Cottage Birdhouse
$39.99 | zulily
Pebble Glen Tipping Bowls LED Fountain
Lamps Plus
Jelly Jar Oil Rubbed Bronze Outdoor Wall Mounted Light
$10.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: