Anyone have pictures of their breakfast areas?

lavender_lassNovember 16, 2010

I'm wondering if anyone has pictures of their kitchen/breakfast areas. Do you eat breakfast in the dining room? At a breakfast nook? At the island/counter in the kitchen?

Do you like the way this works, or would you like to change it? Thank you :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patser

Many of the books about bungalows have pictures of kitchen eat-in areas....Jane Powell has an entire book out called Bungalow Kitchens.

We use our dining room full time for meals. Our dining room and kitchen are side by side and it's easy to get us and the food from one to the other. We still use meals as the time to actually talk to each other:) and want to keep it that way.

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 4:56AM
columbusguy1

My sister's old farmhouse @1875? has an eat-in kitchen and no dining room...house has been added to over the years, so I don't know the original layout of that part, but I don't like it--yes, it's easy to get food from one place to another especially holidays--but a formal dining room just makes meals more special. I'd rather not stare at dirty dishes while eating. :)

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 6:45PM
Carol_from_ny

I've got a 1830's house. Federal style. Off of the kitchen is a room that has two built in china cabinets (actually one and half, some idjut sawed off the top of the one cabinet) and the servant stairs, they go up to the area where the servants slept on the back of the house with a door blocking the stairs and another door that closes the room off from the kitchen. When we bought the house I was told it was the breakfast room. I have a dining room table and six chairs in it now. We use it when there's just a few of use eating a meal. The dining room is on the other side of the kitchen out of the view of the kitchen.
I like having a choice of where we can eat. Makes it more special when we use the formal dining room with the fireplace plus given how often this house is torn up for one reason or another having options is always good!

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™