Repainting a Fiberglass Door

steve_fJanuary 31, 2007

My wife and I are in the process of getting ready to sell our home. One area that we both know needs to be 'fixed up' is the appearance of the front door. I believe it's a fiberglass door...the same door that was installed when I first bought the home brand new 14 years ago (a Pulte tract home).

The front door is really in need of a good paint job. Recently I had to have my garage door replaced and it's now a white garage door. The front door in question was originally painted a dark brown color. About 6 years ago my father re-stained it as it had started to fade due to sun exposure and the effect of the dry desert climate we live in.

Now I'd like to paint the door white so it matches the new garage door. My question is where do I start?

I've been reading up on painting fiberglass doors and everyone recommends something different. Some say to sand the door down and appply a primer. Others say to use strong chemical solvents to dissolve any previous primers and some say just to clean it with a detergent, let it dry and then to spray it with Rustoleum Exterior spray paint.

I'm a little confused and could use some guidance. The original paint/stain has started to peel off on some parts of the door and in other areas the color has faded. I'll also need to paint the door trim white to match the door.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Wash the door first with a hot water solution and Dawn. Hot and sudsy with a scrub brush.

Then sand away loose stain or paint with synthetic sanding pad. Rinse and let dry.

Once the base is clean and sound, prime it with BM Fresh Start Acrylic primer.

Top coat with BM Low Lustre MooreGard house paint.

Michael

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™