Have you heard of ZillowDigs to help estimate remodeling costs?

islandFebruary 10, 2013

I've heard of Zillow, but not ZillowDigs http://www.zillow.com/digs/

until I read this blurb: http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/08/real_estate/home-remodeling-costs/index.html?iid=SF_PF_Lead

Supposedly ZillowDigs helps estimate cost of remodeling in your area depending on the project, size and style you're going for.

Curious of what you think, because on quick glance these estimates look really low to me. I'd kill to get some of these kitchens and baths for so cheap!

Or are they pretty accurate and I'm in Ripoffland?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windycitylindy

I saw those yesterday, and I also thought they looked crazily low. I saw a high-end kitchen with a 48" range (looked like it might have been Wolf), and they said something like $27,000. Their prices for each component seemed really, really low. Maybe I also live in rip-off land, but you'd pay double what most of those estimates were where I live.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 2:22PM
island

Yes that site is way off base. Only a handful of kitchens in the luxury category and none are over 92K. No way. A small single range kitchen with nice finishes, but no significant structural or plumbing changes is at least 80K.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 3:34PM
suzanne_sl

It's hard to tell if the estimates are reasonable. At least one kitchen appeared to be IKEA and laminate, but who could really know? A couple were inset cabinets which were very nice, but overall, cabinet and countertop prices seemed low to me. The breakdown on labor costs made me really glad we did mostly DIY. Why does it cost $1300 to install appliances?

Here's my take-away: I really, really want this shower:

Hmm, if we bump out the front wall and make a space about the size of our current MBR, that should do it. And we'll need a maid to vacuum the bathroom fuzz out of the loose rock every couple of days. Why didn't they cut a round hole in the floor to accommodate the round drain? Why did they put a drain there at all?

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 7:06PM
Gooster

This example seems to be way off: this has a 42 or 48" range plus matching hood. The MSRP for this combo is pretty fixed and would probably top 10K. The estimate is below that, even before the hidden refrigerator and dishwasher are taken into account.

They seem to be using percentages of home value, which leads to wildly bad estimates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look at the range

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
Which Marble-Like Quartz with Ikea Adel Cabinets?
I'm trying to decided which Quartz Counter tops would...
cindyhg
IKEA Spring Sale 2015 begins 2/27
I spent a (long, long) day at IKEA on Saturday ordering...
tracie.erin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™