What type of house is this?

gamecock43November 8, 2008

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/tashacopi/?action=view&current=boltonhouse.jpg

Can anyone help me identify this type of house? Built in or around 1900 (poor city records) in Georgia. It's for sale and though I was looking for a Victorian...this is in my price range.

Also...to have a little fun..can anyone suggest what they think would enhance the curb appeal of this house? I'm not in love with the outside...but cant figure out why.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
antiquesilver

I get an error message when I try to see the photo.

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 12:11AM
gamecock43

ok sorry...I will see if I can post an actual picture for you all.

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 9:23AM
jegr

from the one picture, I think it's probably a simple late Victorian, maybe built as a rental, that maybe has become a 2 family. It may be Edwardian or Colonial Revival inside.
The date of 1900 seems about right looking at the triple front windows and the doors to one side. The porch looks about the right proportions ( width and height), although I might have expected bigger columns, maybe round, or more fretwork at the top.

The front doors are the problem - too short compared to the windows, and with no casings! The front door should welcome you - these are blank duds. But that's pretty easy to change
especially if it is a 2 family and you change it back to a one family. Some nice wide mouldings with back bands and a door with a window and a good handle will help. Then stuff like flower boxes, perhaps a flower bed, a porch light, a rocker or two, will make your neighbors anxious to be invited to visit.

The usual suggestion is to live there a while and look around your neighborhood to see what was popular when your house was built before you make serious, and potentially expensive, changes.

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 4:39PM
mom2lilenj

Here is a link. Hopefully it works :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Are colored appliances going to come back?
I hope so. I have a stainless steel stove (front only)...
concretenprimroses
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™