Wonky Bathroom Floor

justducky22November 4, 2010

Just curious if anyone has any ideas...My bathroom upstairs looks like a fun house. The bathroom is at the back fo the house and the floor slopes to the back of the room (toward the back of the house) but levels off again. I was just wondering if this might have been done on purpose. I only ask because the floor tiles and grout do not have any cracks or gaps you would expect to see if something had shifted (they appear original to me). Also the doorway is tilted in the same direction with no gaps or cracks in the trim...looks like it has always been that way for some reason. I do think that the layout of the bathroom has been changed sometime in the past...it looks like there are small pipe holes in the tiles on the wall behind the toilet (at sink height). I checked the other room along the back of the house next to the bathroom and it does not seem to have the same thing going on. I just can't help but wonder what is with this floor? every time I am in there. Oh and before anyone asks...the foundation is fine. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Settling, probably due to age and/or undersized framing. Even steel beams sag over the years. I knew someone who began investigating his sloping kitchen floor and the similarly sloped two floors above. Turns out his kitchen began life a hundred years earlier as a porch on short timber piles; it was enclosed and two floors added on top.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 6:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justducky22

Worthy...I figured it was most likely settling but don't you think that there would be some evidence of that? Like some kind of gaps or cracking of grout or tiles? Maybe not, I don't know but thanks for the reply!

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™