horrible smell in the house (please help!)

blueduskyNovember 25, 2009

I bought a 1985 townhouse this year. It had popcorn ceiling, so I contracted someone to remove it for me. He did a great job, but a very weird smell stayed. The contractor said he bought a bad batch of plaster from Home Depot. It smells like cheese/paint/vomit (different smell for different people). I think the smell from the old owners didn't help either. The contractor came and Fabreezed the house, but that lasted one day. He returned and sprayed the ceiling with bleach. That helped some, but the smell is still here. My nose is used to it, but my relatives have pointed it out that the smell is still here. I already bought furniture and don't want to have my house bleached again. It's so embarrassing! It's been two months, and I still haven't had any visitors. I also tried leaving coal throughout the house, baking soda, and Glade plug-ins. Still the same... I don't know what else to do. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Google is your friend. (I wonder if the poster "kat" is one who I think used to post at GW.)

You've got your work set out for you!

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 11:09PM
brickeyee

"The contractor said he bought a bad batch of plaster from Home Depot."

Once a pail of drywall mud gets mildew in it is is ruined.

He should never have used the pail, and it likely smelled from the moment it was opened (if he could not see anything).

While you can try and seal the smell in (shellac sealers work well) it may actually be easier to remove the ceiling and put up all new drywall.

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 10:07AM
leimburel

This could be some kind of rot in the timbers of the house.

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™