Name of wood stirring spoon with a hole?

sheilajoyce_gwFebruary 7, 2013

I want to get my kids my favorite stirring "spoon" for cooking, but I don't know the name of it. It is a long handled wooden paddle type spoon with a hole in the center of it and the end of the spoon is a flat edge so you can scrape the bottom of the pot as you stir. This thing is great for stirring sauces and puddings because it does not slop the contents out of the pan.

Does anyone know the name of this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countrycottageklutz

We always used one for incorporating the proofed yeast into the flour for breadmaking, and called the spoon a spurtle. Just googled spurtle, and yes, it's indeed the spoon with a hole in the middle. HTH :)

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 10:44PM
YogaLady1948

Wow I never knew there was a real name for that spoon;)

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 10:50PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Gee, I looked up spurtle and came upon a decorative wood stick for stirring from Scotland. I will look again. Thanks.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 11:33PM
morz8

'The wooden spoon with the hole' always worked for a name for me, that's how I think of it, and I used mine tonight :)

But I think technically its a risotto spoon. Check the images and see if yours is there....

Here is a link that might be useful: Google risotto spoon

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 11:55PM
colleenoz

Yep, I Googled spurtle and all the references were for a porridge-stirring stick.
I was surprised when countrycottageklutz said a spoon with a hole in it was a spurtle because I already knew a stirring stick was a spurtle (Scots family members :-) ).

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 1:58AM
jannie

I just call mine a Wooden Spoon. Who knew?

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:21AM
houseful

I am a volunteer home-ec teacher, and one boy called it a "spoontula". It's nice to know it has a real name. Although, "spoontula" sounds a little less vulgar than "spurtle", which is important among a group of middle school boys! ;-D

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:37AM
dances_in_garden

I also believe it is a "risotto spoon". At least, that was what I was told at a specialty kitchenware store and saw it LOLOL! She said it could also be called a polenta spoon.

Dances.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 8:11AM
kacram

Well, I learned something today. It's always been the wooden thingy with the hole in it here! lol

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:08AM
countrycottageklutz

Whether it be risotto, polenta, or oatmeal, or even our alternative use for bread dough or spaghetti sauce, it does sound like it's mainly used for ingredients that need to be lufted ;). I know, I know, lufted is definately not the correct word, but it's the term we used for that action of stirring with the spurtle! I'm guessing it's a cross between lifting and sauteing?

Back on topic, I've found that wooden spoons aren't all they're cracked up to be recently, unless shopping at a midcost store, as the cheapo's tend to snap easily, but I have found my olive wood set of 3 (including a spurtle), to be the strongest, smoothest (HATE with a passion the feeling of drying wooden spoons/bowls etc), with decent length of handle yet!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:32AM
chisue

Love a spoon with a flat 'blade'; now I'll have to find one of these 'spurtles'!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:18PM
sjerin

I buy them at cost plus, though the ones I love have a slanted edge to them making them excellent at scraping the bottom of the pot.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:32PM
JoAnn_Fla

a spoontula is a spatula with a spoon shape look, it scrapes & spoons up the food.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 10:08AM
azzalea

Definitely not a spurtle--that's not spoon shaped at all. It's just a turned stick. Mine is rounded at one end, and cut flat on the other. I've never used it for stirring poridge, but it's a wonderful tool for quickly pressing dough into gem pans.

I have no idea what the name is, though, for a spoon with a hole in it--other than 'spoon with a hole in it'.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 3:53PM
countrycottageklutz

Agreeing to disagree Azzalea. In the link I'll post is an almost identical "spoon" to what we called a spurtle. Why we'd call it that if it wasn't, I have no idea. Apologies for disagreeing, but spurtle is what we and others we knew, called it.

Here is a link that might be useful: What I mistakenly call a spurtle

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 8:36PM
More Discussions
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Book of the Week
The sweet life in Paris : delicious adventures in the world’s...
stacey_mb
Thursday evening Dinner
I made chicken parm tonite. I opened a bottle of strained...
Jasdip
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Why would a celll phone addict invite someone on an outing and then --
-- not tear themself away from their cell phone?
eclair
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™