Restoring stamped tin tiles

ere311November 14, 2011

Hi all - Newbie here. I am trying to restore some stamped tin ceiling tiles. They have two layers of paint which have been very slow in coming off. I'm using a metal paint scraper as a plastic putty knife wasn't strong enough. I have a couple questions: 1) Can I 'wash' the tiles? They're pretty dirty, especially the backs. Black, soot-like stuff all over them. I'm worried the water will further rust the tiles but am also wondering if getting the paint wet will make taking it off easier. 2) I'm not sure if I want to repaint the tiles. If I just want to keep the original patina but want to seal the backs, I have to use an oil-based paint, correct? I heard that latex paint will rust them. Any tips will be welcomed. Also - I'm not restoring them to be reinstalled as a ceiling. Just as decorations. Thanks very much for your help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Depending on age and material getting them wet without promptly drying them can cause rust.

If they are no longer on the ceiling a suitably large glass baking dish (or stainless steel) and paint remover is likely to result in less damage.

A large 'acid brush' for brick work should remove the paint with little damage.

After stripping you can rinse them in hot water, wipe off excess water, and dry them in the oven.

Many patterns are still available from specialty makers.

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 9:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ere311

Thank you SO MUCH for the information. I really appreciate it.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
monica_thompson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™