help with matting & framing

dody40February 14, 2013

My son's fianace sent me this photo on canvas. It is so beautifully done of my DH, my son and me. My son lives in California and I live in New York. I had not seen him for 2 years, so you can imagine the emotions I was feeling and Soo caught them all.

I want to have it matted and framed. I would like a dark color for the frame. Would you give me some advice, both on the frame and the mat. The picture is 24" by 30".

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

If I were dong that project, I would take it down to my local - non-chain - framing place.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 1:20PM
patty_cakes

I agree w/LuAnn, you want it to be done properly. Aaron Brothers regularly has sales on their framing. They're very savvy with helping you choose a mat/frame that are complimentary to whatever it is being framed.

Here is a link that might be useful: current ad

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 1:31PM
yayagal

Since it's on canvas I wouldn't put it under glass but have it stretched and attached to a frame that would look good in your home. If you're good with a stapler, you can buy a frame to the size of the actual print and not the white part and staple it in your self. There are directions on line how to do it. We do it often. Or you can get a frame three inches smaller than the print and wrap it around the back of it and you'll have a professional box frame. They're very attractive.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 2:46PM
Annie Deighnaugh

At our local Jo-Ann's they have a guy who is really good at framing and matting and has done an excellent job for us at reasonable...or relatively so...prices. So it all depends on who is working at your local chain as to whether they are good or not.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 2:50PM
valinsv

I agree with yayagal. If it's on canvas I would not matt and frame it but have it stretched on canvas and put on a frame (no glass). Either way, though, you cannot go wrong taking it to a place like Aaron Brothers and getting their professional advice. I know there are some President's Day Sales this weekend. It's worth a look. Lovely photo!

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 4:37PM
GinaXOXO

I love the picture! What a thoughtful future daughter in law you have! I think you need to have it done by a pro. I have had framing done at big chain places and had good luck. My last frame was done by someone who just does framing and it was about the same price. My point is that you don't save a lot of money at hobby lobby types of stores with questionable training.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 10:27PM
dody40

Thanks for the help. I am so ignorant. I never thought about not having it put in under glass. That was not my intent anyway. Having it stretched sounds like the way to go. I am so glad for the advice because now I will not look like a ignoramus when I take it in. (I had to look up the word 'ignoramus' to check the spelling. haha)

dody

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 7:12AM
outsideplaying_gw

I agree with the above posters who advised to have it stretched by a professional and use a simple frame of your choosing. Would just like to add, for cleaning, use an inexpensive paint brush now and then and lightly brush the dust off the canvas. I keep a couple of these around the house I don't use for anything else. Also keep a small one in the car for touch-ups in those hard-to-reach spots.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 9:31AM
patricianat

Whatever you do, have a professional do it. It's worthy of the respect and attention it will be given.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:09AM
dody40

Went yesterday to our nearest city and checked with the camera shops and Joann's. Nobody in our city does the stretching of canvas. Found out that AC Moore in Saratoga does it. (Joann's in Albany also does it, but I don't want to drive there) Talked with the framer on the phone and I will take it there soon. I will see if the framer is there today, Saturday, if so will go today.

Outsideplaying recommends a simple frame and I agree. How wide do you think the frame should be. I want a dark frame, do you think black would be alright, that would tie in with the other frames on the wall.
Also, thanks Outsideplaying for the advice on how to care for it.
dody.

This post was edited by dody40 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 7:52

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 7:38AM
yayagal

Will the framer do a stretch and wrap frame? A canvas really should not have glass over it. Here's a link that shows how to do it yourself. It's really quite simple, I do them often. If you do frame it, I think the black or very dark wood will work just fine. Keep it simple.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 3:23PM
dody40

Just got back from ordering the job. They are stretching it on a frame. I have ordered a 3inch smooth dark custom frame for it. (Maybe it was 2 1/2) I will have it March 8. It was expensive, but I don't spend much money on anything except groceries, so I did not mind splurging on this. The photo means so much to me. How Soo captured the love in our expressions is priceless.

Thank you for all of your help. Will post a picture when it comes back.

dody

This post was edited by dody40 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 16:17

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 4:12PM
deeinohio

What a wonderful photo--filled with so much feeling--and what a thoughtful gift.

Your DS's fiancé is definitely a keeper.

Dee

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Need Help Decorating My Bedroom
Hi there, I'm excited to be here! This is my very first...
jmdkc
Colored crystal chandelier
Does anyone have good pics of colored crystal chandys?...
bossyvossy
Front yard, before, after and what next? Open for ideas!
Hi All! We live on a hill and last fall the township...
lukkiirish
Help!! white or off white kitchen cabnits??
We are building a new home. The kitchen cabinets are...
Val McLemore
Custom Vanity Expected pricing
What would you expect to budget for a custom vanity...
palimpsest
Sponsored Products
Solid Shag Runner by Chilewich
$150.00 | Lumens
Softest Rug 12' x 15' - CREAM
$5,399.00 | Horchow
IMPERIAL Lamps 24 in. Tiffany University of Michigan Desk Lamp IMP 353-3009
Home Depot
Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel Roaster & Rack - LRS1805P
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Pasta Tongs
$12.99 | zulily