Looking at options for kitchen redo on budget

mary614February 21, 2013

We have an old farm house and really need to update a few things, actually a lot of things and there just isn't money to do everything "new"
Our current kitchen is a small galley that is 14' long and 7'6" wide, this also has the washer and dryer in it. Yes it is a bit tight. So, we need to move the washer and dryer out of the kitchen.
THe cabinets are original to the house and very inefficient, if you can get the doors open. We have gotten a number of quotes and have also seen used cabinets on CL . Has anyone redone their kitchen with used cabinets? If you have any advice?
The big things that I don't want to skimp on are getting the electric and plumbing to code which they currently are not.
Thank you, Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
senator13

I don't know where you live, but you could check into Green Demolitions, or see if there is something like that near you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Demolitions

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:24PM
maddielee

Check to see if you have a Habitat for Humanity resale store in your area. Our Resale shop always has lots of cabinets. Some are well used while some are like new. inventory changes daily.

ML

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:45PM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

I remodeled a farm kitchen using craigslist and ebay items, and a few inexpensive cabinets from Lowe's. If you click on my username, you can find my threads and albums. Also, I'll link one of my all time favorite GW threads:

Here is a link that might be useful: Recycled kitchens

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 3:13PM
kgolby

Have you considered RTA cabinets? There are quite a few threads on GW about ready to assemble cabinets & people have been pleased with cost & quality.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Ikea Cabinets & Butcherblock - Quality?
We're about 95% sure we're replacing our cabinets....
annaw_123
Reviews for 'Steel' Ascot freestanding ovens
Hi, does anyone have the above Italian made range in...
suenuts
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™