Countertop trends

islanddevilFebruary 1, 2013

Another perspective on what's supposedly trending in countertops. Very few of these choices interest me, how about you?

http://freshome.com/2012/09/25/the-hottest-kitchen-counter-tops-move-over-marble/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I don't know that any of these are "hot" because none of them are particularly new. Some of them are probably increasing in popularity as people look for alternatives to granite. Pewter tops are very expensive, so I don't think they will "trend" very much.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 2:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

1. poured concrete: nice colors and finishes if contractor is exceptional, no seams, VERY porous, almost always cracks. (every instal I've ever seen developed cracks)

2. Butcher Block: hardly new; has the worst hygiene performance of any countertop material.

3. reclaimed wood - some different looks; good for the people who want to feel virtuous for using recycled material.

4. Cork - different, can look good. poor durablity

5. stainless steel - best hygiene performance but often looks too "clinical" or "commercial" for typical residential work

6. soapstone- again, hardly new. Has some panache because it was used early in our country's history because it could be worked with tools available. nice "soft" look. somewhat more maint than granite but durable because scratches are easily repaired.

7. recycled glass - not cheaper than granite as indicated in article. most products are glass chips in a resin or concrete base. generally expensive as at mid to upper range granite.

8. Pewter - nice soft look but also easily dented. expensive.

9. SLate - has a different look some find appealing. chips easily.

1. quartz - not to be confused with "quartz surface". actual slabs of quartz are exceptionally beautiful and very very durable as quartz is the hardest component in granite. expensive.

"quartz surface" is a manufactured product with quartz chips and other inclusions and dye to produce a designed color or look. Most successful "colors" are those that most closely mimic natural stone. More expensive than lower priced granites and susceptible to damage from heat.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Ikea cover panel installation question (Akurum line)
Hi all! I was ready to post this to ikeafans.com and...
criv227
Bungalow galley kitchen layout
Hello GW'ers! I'm new to the forum and have been so...
motok1w
What "Marble" Substitute Did You Go With?
I'm on the fence, whether I would be OK with marble...
aloha2009
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Need floorplan advice/help
Hello everyone! Looking for floorplan advice on our...
K L
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™