Source for old steam radiators in NJ

rexemNovember 12, 2008

Anyone know where we could get a replacement steam radiator for not a lot of money - something that will look right in our 1880s Victorian. I would think they are being ripped out of a lot of old houses and have tried Craig's list but was wondering if anyone has any other ideas for us. We are in Northern NJ.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dilly_dally

Junk yards always seem to have them. Have you tried there?

You say you "have tried CL" do you mean browsing in the 'for sale' or 'free' section or did you post that you are looking for one to buy. Someone may have one laying around and wishing someone could haul it away. They are really heavy and cumbersome. Or someone may be planning a remodel and will jump at the chance to have you come and get theirs. Posting in the 'wanted' section may bring results.

I know nothing about the NJ area but if there are neighborhoods that are undergoing rehab, you may be able to slueth one out by talking to workmen at jobsites.

Bookmark   November 12, 2008 at 1:49PM
maureeninmd

Architectural salvage places should have them. The one I go to in Baltimore sells them rather cheaply - the plain ones are $6 a fin and the decorative $12. I think they are called fins???

Bookmark   November 12, 2008 at 2:55PM
rexem

Thanks for these ideas!

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 9:41AM
mstewart5_stny_rr_com

i just removed one due to kitchen remodeling. it's a beauty! our house was built in 1819 so it would be close to what you are looking for. it is one of the shorter ones but quite long...15 sections. i will provide exact dimensions upon request. it is quite ornate with decorative scrollings. works great too! no leaks.

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™