Name for type of fireplace?

elissamayNovember 2, 2008

Just bought a 1919 colonial, and wondering if this fireplace has a specific name for its style? I'm trying to determine if the rectangular area above the firebox was originally used for something, or if it's just a part of the design.

Here is a link that might be useful: click for fireplace photo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My guess is just a design. Most all the houses I have lived in have had fireplaces, and none of them, even in this 1820s house (where cooking was done in the fireplaces) had any contraptions over the firebox.

    Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 6:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think it is just part of the design. You might use it to display an art tile, or a motto.

    Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 8:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Structurally there is no space for a box at that point in the firebox, the smoke shelf, or the flue which are directly behind that indentation.
It is part of the design - a bit of playing with the brick in an Arts and Crafts 'celebrate the material' kind of way. It could have had art tile in it, or perhaps something like a copper bas-relief sculptural panel.
Look for 'Bungalow', 'Prairie' or 'Mission' fireplaces as well as 'Arts and Crafts' for comparisons.

    Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 10:59AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™