How do you organize your 'project' papers?

marie26December 3, 2006

I have projects that I'm working on that I cannot seem to get a handle on how to organize into sub files. What questions should I be asking myself as I do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

*how important is it that there by sub files?
*how likely am I to need that info again? (stuff that you prob won't need may not need a sub file)
*is there any large subcategory that deserves its own sub file, even if the others all get lumped together? (in my "fun" folder, I have a subfolder for the Zoo; everything else is just lumped together)
*how are these things alike, and how different? (inside vs. outside; generated by me vs. generated by others; recurring vs. one-time; big-ticket vs. small change; physically large vs. physically small)

I think if you cannot get a handle on sub files, then maybe you don't need them. Or you only need a very few. Or you need to look at it from some other angle.

Bookmark   December 4, 2006 at 5:25PM
Maura63

I have manilla "project" folders with preprinted spaces and lines for contact info, project updates, etc. The ones I got are in the middle of the page in the link below. The page also shows other options for storing like-papers together. I think I found mine at Walmart or Staples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Something like this may help....

Bookmark   December 4, 2006 at 7:05PM
marie26

Thank youm Maura, for that link. I had never seen these before but I think they'll work for me. I'll check them out the next time I get into "town".

Bookmark   December 4, 2006 at 7:37PM
Karen_sl

Depends on the project.
For our kitchen remodel everything is in a large gold envelope. The bathroom that we did 4 years ago has its own envelope.
This might not be the best way...but when I need to know how much the shingles were all I need to do is remember that we did the roof when we added on for the kitchen.
Karen L

Bookmark   December 4, 2006 at 7:43PM
claire_de_luna

Marie, my current project is a bathroom remodel and I've been managing all the paper with excessive use of my three-hole punch and by putting everything in a binder. I found some Post-It labels at Office Max, which I applied to the front page of everything I wanted to categorize like Lighting, Plumbing, Fixtures, Accessories, Quotes, PAID, etc. etc. I particularly like those because they are self-sticking but can be moved if you need to. It's been extremely handy to have everything in one place, and be able to put my hands on whatever I need instantly. My sheetrock guy came for a bid and was flipping through my book, and told my DH he thought I was extremely organized!

Here is a link that might be useful: Post-It Labels

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
Cleaning Service--what do you have them do?
I enjoy reading this forum and now understand the difference...
bstnjohn
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
Loved This Book!
I just (quickly!) read "The Life-Changing Magic...
Merrygardener
Organizing/de cluttering success (please share yours too!)
I cleaned out and organized the tool box! We live in...
sloedjinn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™