Plaster walls

wellerman2200November 4, 2009

I will be removing some out side plaster walls to rewire and insulate. My question is what kind of problems will I run into with the window and door casing (size wise)I would like to reuse all the wood work if I can. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

You will have to use multiple layers of drywall to build up to the thickness of the plaster you remove (commonly around 3/4 inch).

Two layers of 3/8 usually works well.

Why are you tearing out entire walls?

Plaster is very expensive to replace, and it is not that hard to blow in insulation and then make repairs to the plaster.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 8:27AM
bella_ciara

We have a couple of plaster walls that needed entirely removed. Since they are open, like you, we are running in new outlets, moving switches, and insulating. Because of the size of gap that remains after the plaster and lath has been removed, we are running furring(sp?) strips across the studs and shimming behind them if needed to create a flat surface for hanging the new drywall. The new drywall will attach to the furring(meow?) strips since the drywall will have no opportunity to rest firmly against the studs like it normally would, therefore the furring strips need to be well attached to the studs. The thickness of the availability of the lumber you have for the strips will kind of determine the thickness of the drywall that you will need to use.

Something to consider when running your new wiring is that you'll need to move the protrusion of the electrical boxes out on the stud far enough to clear both the furring strips and the drywall as opposed to mounting them at the depth you normally would in a newer house.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 10:42AM
    Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 11:21AM
brickeyee

"Because of the size of gap that remains after the plaster and lath has been removed, we are running furring(sp?) strips across the studs and shimming behind them if needed to create a flat surface for hanging the new drywall."

Rip 2x4s in half and attach them to the sides of the old studs with the face set for the thickness of the new wall.

Shimming and furring out walls takes way to long, and still often results in less than flat results.

One of my favorite tricks is to take 2-coat plaster walls (one of the original uses for gypsum boards was as a backer for plaster walls) and remove them in large pieces, then put the plaster back up and fix the joints.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Sponsored Products
Single Panel Black Gloss Vertical Designer Radiator 59 x 14 & Valves
Hudson Reed
Harmony Oval Mirror
Overstock.com
Sky Planter Wall Mount Hook by Boskke
$12.00 | Lumens
Artemide | Logico Mini Single Wall Sconce
$380.00 | YLighting
Robert Abbey Iris Nickel Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus