can i vent a microwave range hood into a chimney

pg13February 23, 2013

just wondering because the design calls for the oven/microwave to be placed in front of a chimney which is no longer used for anything. or do i have to cut through to the next cabinet to get it to vent directly outside. thanks GW

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

No, you cannot vent into a masonry chimney. Or into any other metal flue used by any other gas fired appliance like a water heater or furnace.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 2:19PM
liriodendron

Of course you can't use a chimney that is being used for anything else, but I see no reason why an UNused chimney stack couldn't be used as a chase for a proper metal ducted vent path.

Of course it might be too long, too high, too narrow or have some other constraint, but otherwise I would ask your installer and perhaps your local code officials.

HTH

L.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 2:27PM
pg13

that is kinda what i thought. thanks for the fast response. do you see any issue, other than taking up cabinet space, with jogging that vent over and then to the outside. it would mean a couple 90s and a bit longer run. if not the only other option would be to have it be a recirculating vent back into the kitchen( which we dont want) or redoing the kitchen layout(which we really, really dont want. thanks again

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 3:24PM
juliekcmo

You would probably need to use a metal chimney liner to do this to meet code. (like when a furnace is vented in a chimney.) But as long as the duct length is suitable for the fan, it might be OK. Check with the specs on the venting table on the fan. Also maybe a quick check with your local codes dept. would be helpful. How/where your other venting appliances vent, and the height of the chimney all are probably factors that need to be reviewed/approved.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
WWYD with this area?
This area was designated as "dog cubbie"...
debrak_2008
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™