40' Kitchen Cabinet Vent

nwkrysNovember 21, 2010

We are currently refinishing the cabinets in our vintage 40's Cape Cod. As in many kitchens of the day there is a vent on the front of the cabinet below the sink. Often times they were just slits cut in the wood parallel with the floor. Mine however has a lovely oval chrome cover which is in dreadful shape. The cover covers a rectangular hole that was cut in the face below the sink. I would have sworn that Rejuvenation had a reproduction chrome cover a couple of years ago and kick myself for not picking up one then. Does anyone know of a source for new old stock or a reproduction chrome cover?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

As a last resort, parts can be rechromed. Downdraft vents are very effective when they're in the stove itself, but I wonder if that holds when the vent is in front of the sink.

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 12:59PM
JoshCT

I would definitely call up a plating firm and have them take a look at it. Anything can be re-plated and they probably can (or can put you in touch with someone who can) repair dings or other damage, as long as it is not too bad. Restoring what you have will probably cost less than a reproduction, and I have never seen something like you describe on a sink base cabinet.

Sounds like a great kitchen!

Josh

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 7:12PM
ks_toolgirl

Nwkrys, any way you could post a picture? Not only am I curious to see it, (which I am!), but I "window shop" a lot of online vintage/restoration stores & I'd definately keep an eye open. Heck, I may even have one and not know what it is. (I've got a LOT of antique "stuff", house & all else. long story).
:-)

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 7:34PM
nwkrys

Unfortunatly the grille pieces are cracked and I'm not sure replating is a viable option. I will try to post a picture. The house is our second home at the beach and and I won't get down there before Thanksgiving but will get a photo as soon as possible. I really appreciate your suggestions!

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
Craftsman tile question
I recently visited a friend who lives in a beautiful...
lalala
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
This old house plus church!!
Well I need someone to talk with about my latest plunge....
Jason J
Sponsored Products
Classic Accessories Covers Hickory Patio Lounge Chair Cover 55-206-012401-EC
$49.00 | Home Depot
Hampton Bay Gazebos 10 ft. x 10 ft. Portable Gazebo with Netting Bronze/copper
Home Depot
Zephyr 36W in. Verona Wall Mounted Range Hood - ZVO-M90AG
Hayneedle
California Umbrella Patio Umbrellas 11 ft. Fiberglass Collar Tilt Double Vented
Home Depot
Zephyr 42W in. Verona Island Range Hood - ZVN-E42AG
Hayneedle