1940's kitchen picture source?

pinch_meOctober 25, 2009

Who has a photo album with 1940's kitchen pictures? I'd like to look at that time frame for possibly decorating my "new" kitchen but I can't find any pictures. I found old wallpaper I really, really want but not at the price it's going for. (Not to mention I really, really don't want to work with the old paper)From memory, I think everyone papered? And the paper patterns I remember were in primary colors. Paint colors would be dark green, gray, or that ivory/cream color? I have an old porcelain enamel top table with that cream color painted wooden legs. The table top is white and the edge is blue. I thought it was the '40's but I'm not sure. The photos in my album don't give a really good idea of what my parent's kitchen looked like and of course they are black and white. I've found many of the papers I grew up with though. A walk down memory lane.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

The kitchen in my house in 1945Had a taupe woodwork and wallpaper, of course....the wall paper was shades of mulberry tan and blue.....a far cry from primary colors!
Not too long ago I gutted the kitchen in my 1920s house and the earliest color was a wine color...(EWW!) and next came a soft green, rather typical for the era, you can find that color in the handles of many vintage kitchen utensils.
A porcelain table would have been pushed against a wall and used as a work table....the eating table would have been either a banquette in a painted color or in natural maple or birch.
Remember during much of the 40;s the country was at war....and people were not re doing kitchens, so most of the 40s kitchens contained 30s stuff...until the war was over.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 12:25AM
dilly_dally

My fav:

http://retrorenovation.com/retro-kitchens/

Here is a link that might be useful: Reto Kitchens

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 12:27AM
patser

Here's a link to the 40s from another old home lover...
Scroll about 1/2 way down on the left.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 6:28AM
pinch_me

Thanks! I kept getting the same text articles from various sites. I'd forgotten about the retro site... the pictures at grazhina 's Public Gallery will be tonight's stroll through the past.

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 7:15AM
macv

Just google 1940 kitchen or see link below.

These kitchens were not very functional or attractive IMHO but I grew up in one.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1940 kitchens

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™