How to seal gaps at interior baseboard corner?

la_koalaOctober 18, 2008

I'm aiming to seal the gaps around the trim pieces (door trim, window trim, baseboards) that are on the exterior walls of our house (>100 years old). Seal out the wind this winter. :-)

In examining some of the rooms, I noticed that at some of the interior corners, the perpendicular baseboards don't meet evenly and have gaps. Some of the largest gaps are 3/16 inch wide.

My "newbie" questions:

My tube of Dap Alex Plus caulk says that it should not be used for filling "butt joints". Would such corners where the baseboards meet up be considered "butt joints"?

I'm not sure how deep these gaps go. I mean, the baseboards seem to be about 1 inch thick when I try to measure them from the painted wall portion. So, wouldn't that mean the gaps could be 1 inch deep?

My Dap tube says to use a backer rod if the gap is more than 1/2 inch deep. How would I use a backer rod in this situation? Stuff it into the gap as deep as possible, and then caulk the gap in front of the backer rod?

Is there a 'best practice' to seal these gaps between baseboards at interior corners that I should follow?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jan9

You can find backer rod in the heating and ventilation section at HD. And, yes you stuff it into the gap until you fill the space within an 1/8" or less of the top. Thick caulk just cracks and soon. You can use a putty knife to smooth larger caulk joints and a wet finger for the narrow joints. Keep a wet rag handy to wipe the excess off painted surfaces. After the caulk sets up you can paint it.

I'd guess that Dap doesn't want you to use the product on butt joints in siding.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 4:07AM
More Discussions
Hot water radiators
We own a 1900 home which has forced hot water heating...
alexia10
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Craftsman tile question
I recently visited a friend who lives in a beautiful...
lalala
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
Sponsored Products
Set of Two Four Seasons Blackout Curtain Panels
Grandin Road
Modern Designed Cylinder Beige Linen Shade Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Da Vinci Stainless Steel 18-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 18W
Bellacor
Duvet Cover Twill - Peacock II
$149.00 | DiaNoche
1-light White Opal Glass Pendant
Overstock.com