Painting seams in beadboard ceiling

schoolhouse_gwFebruary 4, 2014

Every winter the boards of the beadboard on my kitchen ceiling spread apart a bit and expose the unpainted seams. I know it will go back together as soon as the season changes but can I paint that exposed seam? or will the the paint hinder the shifting back in place? I'd have to prime first too, so there would be an extra layer of paint.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mtnrdredux_gw

Drives me crazy too. My GC told me, sotte voce, that that is why it makes more sense to use MDF (shudder).

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 12:02PM
yayagal

It's tedius but you could run a bead of caulk in each seam. I did that in my lake house. Well I didn't my DH did lol. I just directed the job. Make sure it's caulk that can be painted.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 12:51PM
tibbrix

Paint will crack when the boards expand.

I too was going to suggest a flexible caulking which will expand and contract with the BB.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 1:27PM
justgotabme

Get a full house humidifier. The first year we lived in our then new home our wood floors separated in the winter so we put humidifiers on each of our furnaces before the next winter. We've lived here ten winters now and they've not separated since. It also makes your home warmer therefore more comfortable for the whole family.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:42PM
eandhl

Embrace the proof of real wood bead board.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 3:48PM
schoolhouse_gw

lol, eandhl.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 7:05PM
chucksmom

Thin the paint down and paint the seams. The color will sink into the wood enough to mask them and will not be thick enough to make a difference with seasonal change. I wouldn't use a primer because that would keep the paint from "soaking" in.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 8:51PM
peony4

We had a pipe burst last month and the resulting mitigation work meant that our humidity levels were dry as a bone, even for our Upper Midwest winter climate, for several weeks. I've noticed larger exposed seams in our board and batten, wood floors, and other areas. I've worked with painted woodwork in the past, and, like Jaysmom, I wouldn't use primer as part of a temporary fix. If it bothers you that much, just fill the seams with paint.

But, you know, wood floors, moulding, and other wood millwork are going to expand and contract with humidity levels. As eandhl notes, this is proof positive that you have the real deal!

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:49PM
agarcia1

Hi, I have a related question. We just painted our wood beam ceiling and the painter told us you couldn't caulk the seams and I think they look ugly.

It seems by the comments in this thread that **IF** we were to caulk the current seams, that with seasonal changes there might be more?

I like the idea of thinning the paint and trying to paint in to the seams.

My real question is, is my painter right in that filling the seams is a no-no? Or, was he just trying to do a quick job?

I just can't seem to get over how ugly the seams look!

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 1:22AM
schoolhouse_gw

Update: it's June and by now everything has gone neatly back together as it usually does, so I'll worry about it next winter. :)

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
BM Manchester Tan in a room with tall ceilings or a wide open space?
Does anyone have BM Manchester Tan in a room with tall...
msrose
Bright solid or bold print to reupholster settees?
Anyway, I bought a pair of vintage settees for my 'formal'...
sloedjinn
Family Room - Tiling the Fireplace
Moving at typical glacial speed, I am now turning to...
oldbat2be
Wood filler when sanding isn't possible
My toilet paper holder is attached to my vanity. I...
Linelle
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Sponsored Products
Painterly View I
$569.00 | FRONTGATE
Ivy Terrace Chairs Classics Green Folding Adirondack Patio Chair IVAD5030GR
Home Depot
A19 Lighting | Grenada Downlight Wall Sconce
$99.99 | YLighting
Blue Diamonds Flat-Weave Rug
$74.99 | Dot & Bo
Large Stretched Canvas
$22.99 | zulily