plaster or dry wall?

taracolOctober 24, 2012

We are going to be painting our dining room and after we scraped the wallpaper down and washed the glue off of the walls we noticed around the thermostat that there is an open area where you can sort of see the wall behind it. It looks concrete-like which leads me to believe it may be plaster walls. My house was built in 1956 and the rest of the walls in the house are drywall so I am not sure why this room would be plaster or if its plaster. It is not an addition or anything. Can anyone tell me how to identify this? We are looking to install a chair rail and are leery to do so if it is plaster walls. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Someone might have used patching plaster to fill a hole in drywall.

    Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 8:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Two coat plaster using a gypsum substrate was still pretty common in 1952.

Pull some receptacle covers and look around the edges of the holes.

If you see about 3/4 inch of thickness is is likely two coat plaster.

    Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 9:22AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™