cost per sq ft question

zagyzebraOctober 7, 2012

I am fishing around for educated estimates on the cost per square foot for an historic restoration project, and it seems like this forum at GardenWeb would be a good place to start.

My house was built in 1931, has lathe and plaster walls, custom hand-crafted concrete details, seamless wood paneling, stained and colored glass windows and doors, soaring wood beam ceilings, turrets, gothic windows and doors, round rooms. Many cool features. Unfortunately, it suffered a large loss fire and has to be brought to its studs.

When we rebuild, we intend to keep it as close as humanly possible to its glorious old 1931 self. I am not interested in cutting corners, or dealing with less than qualified artisans and tradespeople. We have no intention of doing the work ourselves. We intend to use a good general contractor and do everything "by the book."

For those of you who have been through this, do you think $400/sq ft is too conservative? What would be a reasonably comfortable cost per square foot to insure we don't run into limitations?

The home is located in the Hollywood Hills.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Historic restoration? Double that and you might be in the ballpark for a CA location. Some craftsmen or things you may not be able to find at any price.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"$400/sq ft is too conservative"

Far more likely it is low.

WAY low.

You cannot even get your hands on many of the materials (like old growth wood) without hitting the salvage places, and they want a LOT.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Civil War Markers
We know that the house we purchased was built before...
barbcollins
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™