Pictures of mechanical Dumbwaiter?

old-fashionedOctober 25, 2008

We are building a new home with old-world look. We want a dumbwaiter - but not electric. It will be mechanical pulley system - pull the rope to move the car from floor to floor. I'd love to see pictures - anyone have one that could send photos?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

Hi - are you really planning to move the "car" from floor to floor :-)? My grandfather's house had a DW, but the problem of showing it to you (or at least a similar one) is that it's inside Âhe walls, and unless you can Google "images" of one, it might be hard for anyone to show you much about its structural aspects.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 5:53AM
abnorm

How about an online book/reprint from 1909.....

Handy Farm Devices (and how to make them) By Rolfe Cobleigh

Chapter #3....."the step saving dumbwaiter"

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devicesToC.html#contents

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 10:43AM
lazypup

There is a very good reason why we hardly ever see a dumbwaiter in modern construction and before you specify one you better do your homework.

In most states a dumbwaiter is classified as a variation of an elevator and there are very strict laws concerning their installation and operation.

In most jurisdictions you have to apply for a special elevator license then the installation has to be done by a licenses elevator installer.

After it is installed you are required to have it inspected and renew the license annually.

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 10:47AM
old-fashioned

lucy - picture from front with door open (what is opening size H & W?, what are inside dimensions side-side and front-back?), picture of the vertical rails (wood or metal?, on sides or in back?), picture of the rope (on sides or in middle?) would all be helpful. Structural stuff I can figure out. For the look, I'm hoping to copy some real (old) installations.

abnorm - if I can figure out how to find the book, I will definately take a look.

lazypup - I did check with building dept early on. The only real requirement mentioned at the time was self-closing door. I'll recheck.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 6:40PM
abnorm

The book is Online....FREE.......I left you a link.....Try this.....Click on the link

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 8:45PM
lucy

Old-F... I should have been clearer about what I said - my grandfather's house passed into others' hands many years ago and many, many miles away (now), and I seriously doubt the new people would have kept the DW in any case even if I were to have access, but it was a great old place at the time!

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 6:44AM
jegr

The other problem with a dumb waiter is that it is an open air shaft which is a fire hazard. You may need special closures to make it meet current safety standards. I run into similar problems when people want me to include laundry chutes when we are designing new wings for their houses.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™