Establishing a budget for curtains
Please help me. I need to replace my valances in the kitchen and get new shutters and curtains for the master bedroom. I have selected the fabrics and style I want. Now I need it figure out how much I should reasonably spend.
For my kitchen, I am replacing my existing valance with a different fabric. Queen Anne style with buttons and contrasting band. This consists of two valances 81"wide x16", two 36x16 and one 30x16. The fabric costs $20/yd. I paid $1200 for the ones I have 10 years ago. How much should I pay in today's market? I got a quote for $4500!. I told the store no way. My budget was $2000 for labor, materials, installation. Is this reasonable?
For my bedroom, I'm installing plantation shutters and I want to add some non-functioning panels to warm it up since I have lots of windows. This is what i have:
1) 2-Triple windows about 103" wide on the same wall (northern exposure)
2) 2 windows at 38" wide on wall next to bed (east)
3) and one 30"wide window a I want the panels to look full. S (north)
4) fabric selected costs $35/yd
5) budget of $8000.00
1) get european or trad pinch pleat.
2) 1.5 or 2W - I don't want the panels to look skimpy. I do plan to have them lined and interlined
3) single or double panels on single windows? I'm leaning to single panels pulled to a side
4) how much to pay? I got a quote for $1500 per panel. I think this is way to high.
5) I estimate shutters will cost about $5k.
I have had all my curtains professionally done but these prices have all exceeded what I have paid previously by a lot. Unfortunately my professional drapery maker retired and closed shop! So, any help would be greatly appreciated. My total budget for both rooms is $10k. Reasonable?