labeling assortment of containers?

mollyjaneaNovember 16, 2007

i have just created a wonderful sewing room, from very humble beginnings: that means i'm broke, lol. my dilemma now is that all of the sweet old tins, covered baskets, etc are full of my things collected over 50(ouch)years, all perfectly organized, but not visible through the containers. how do i label these in an attractive fashion? it looks so sweet and organized but i still can't find anything. i refuse to use see thru plastic containers - just not my taste. but....? any brilliant ideas? i know you're out there! thanks, molly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

Well, there's the P-touch. Very tidy.
http://letterfolders.com/images/310.jpg

But since they're stick-on, you might run the risk of them lifting some of the paint if you try to remove them in the future. The TZ tapes usually peel away pretty well--the adhesive sticks securely but doesn't split apart when you remove it. But with those painted tins, etc., you might damage them if you ever UNlabel them. (this would be true of ANY stick-on solution,a nd I think the P-touch TZs might actually be better.

And they won't stick on baskets.

You could turn them into flexible tabs that stick onto the bottoms of the tins and stick out a little bit.

Were I in your position, *I* would be able to find the sewing things, bcs I'd remember what I put in which box or basket, but no one ELSE would be able to find anything. Can you use post-it notes for a few months, and see if you build a memory of what's where, that you can use?

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 2:14PM
rjvt

Or maybe label the shelves under the baskets if you're worried about the paint peeling?

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 11:04AM
clink

I store things much in the same way you do and I have found that manila luggage tags work nicely. I tie them around a handle or around a neck of a jar. I use a lot of fabric covered boxes and then, I tie them to ribbon ties that are on the boxes.

My emphasis on sewing and knitting is very organic (not necessarily fiber but style) so plastic doesn't fit in for roving or clouds or future yarns.

Maybe this will help.

Cathy

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 1:39PM
mollyjanea

wonderful ideas, one and all. i will use a combination of them and i think i will have this problem solved. thanks so much, everyone. i really do appreciate that people on these forums take the time to help each other! xoxo, molly

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 2:36PM
marie26

I know you're looking for a permanent solution but I have used post-it tape for labeling in the past. It actually stays put for a very long time. It comes in 3 sizes and is one of my favorite organizing items.

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Organizing vs. Cleaning?
Have discovered in the last few weeks that I get a...
des_arc_ya_ya
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
"You Need a 'Waiting' Folder"--AskAManager has great advice
This is not just work--this would be great on a personal...
talley_sue_nyc
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
Getting rid of part of an item- WWYD
Okay, here's the question: I have a larger, aluminum...
quasifish
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™