Preparing for gutters

rosesr4meOctober 3, 2010

I will be installing gutters on my 1936 Florida home in the next few weeks. I am re-painting the fascia - light sanding, priming with an adhesion primer, then 2 finish coats of latex. There are several minor areas (holes, joints)where caulking has been used and I would like to replace it with something more permanent. I get lots of rainfall and want to prevent rot as much as possible.

Would I dig out the caulk, and use something like Minwax wood hardener and performance wood filler? Or can I leave the caulk in the holes and then use the hardener and wood filler?

Or is there another method to repair minor damage to wood fascia that is more permanent than caulk?

Is there anything else I should do before the gutters get installed?

The wood fascia is nailed to the rafter ends - should I reinforce with ss screws also?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karinl

We just had a rather extraordinary gutter and roofing company put hooded gutters on our house and they actually formed and installed a metal wrap for our fascia boards in a painted sheet metal that matches the gutters, which match our trim paint. So when you look at it, you can't really tell that the fascia is actually sheet metal. Actually come to think of it they replaced the fascia boards too, because ours weren't high enough for the gutter size.

The wrap is open at the back toward the house wall, so if any water does get in, it can evaporate out.

If you don't feel like doing that :-) then there is a wood replacement product (maybe it's the hardener you're talking about) that we've used on some other rotted out bits of the house. Can't really answer whether to remove the caulk.

KarinL

Bookmark   October 7, 2010 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Hot water radiators
We own a 1900 home which has forced hot water heating...
alexia10
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
monica_thompson
Sponsored Products
Great Northern Popcorn 6200 Bar Style Popcorn Popper Machine - 6200
$227.00 | Hayneedle
Adorable Chalkboard Heart Marquee
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Delonghi EO1270 Convection Toaster Oven - EO1270
$129.95 | Hayneedle
Rachael Ray Stoneware 3 qt. Mixing Bowl - Red - 53183
$29.99 | Hayneedle
K'NEX Titanfall Militia Ogre Titan Building Set - 69504
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Jura ENA Micro 9 Cappuccino Machine
FRONTGATE
55" Frontgate TEC Infrared Grill
FRONTGATE
Polished Chrome Whitehaus WH64544 Deck Mount Gooseneck single Hole Metrohaus Kit
$183.00 | Blue Bath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™