paint colors w/vinyl windows

wyominghillOctober 23, 2013

Hi All,

Just bought this circa-1900 house. We plan on ripping off the vinyl siding and then either attempt to restore what is underneath, replace w/new wood siding, or replace w/fiber cement siding. We would like to add some nice detail (brackets, window trim, porch spandrels, etc) and paint it nice historic colors. The windows are all vinyl and I can't justify replacing them with wood since they are only 3 years old. So I'm looking for a color scheme that will not clash too much with the bright vinyl windows... anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Pale yellow siding, deep grey and white for trim?

Or pale blue-grey siding with white and deeper blue-grey trim.

If you keep the porch and some of the trim matching the windows it will look good.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 4:51PM
jcalhoun

I agree. A lot of the historic homes around here are a very light pastel yellow with white trim. Some are a sky blue on white color while a few are white with olive green trim.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 11:41AM
maryinthefalls

Be bold and paint the porch ceiling light blue! See the wonderful job sarahandbray did.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 2:15PM
danvirsse

Our home is brick, but you can easily work with the white windows. This is a picture of 1 of our windows with the trim painted a greeny-grey.
Don't be afraid to use color, as the white is quite forgiving.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 6:03AM
raee_gw

When you paint the vinyl trim around the window, the white of the window itself really won't stand out all that much.

Don't know how historic it would be considered, but my "colonial" 2 story house is painted Glidden 'High Tea', a sagey green, trim, garage door and porch is Laura Ashley 'Bleached Wheat' a soft yellow-tan, shutters are a very dark, almost black green and the door, mailbox and house numbers are a dark cranberry. ( almost went with blueberry, would have looked nice too!) The windows are white vinyl.

Ten years on and I am still getting compliments from the neighbors.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™