Window latches for uneven windows

lsimmsOctober 29, 2013

I just finished attempting to install window latches which required much inelegant tinkering to get them to work (shimming one side.) The hardware is elegant, but the installation looks shoddy.

The rest of my victorian house has unusual window latches that work perfectly for uneven windows. Couldn't find them for years. They have a screw type of closure and I've discovered today that they're called Brighton Sash Fasteners. Some of my windows are very uneven, as much as 1/4" (or more.) These latches squeeze the windows as tight as they'll ever get.

I couldn't find a supplier in the US, but I didn't scour the Net. I ordered them from England (EBay), where they're almost a standard latch.

This solves a perennial problem for me and I thought I'd share it with you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Five minutes ago I didn't know about Brighton Sash Fasteners. Now I want them on all my windows.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 3:47PM
lazy_gardens

These work quite well for doublehung windows. Even if they are a bit skewed.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 4:01PM
mxyplx

House I grew up in was built in 1920 by my father. All the windows had these latches.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 10:24PM
vjrnts

Are these latches unusual? I've never lived in an older house here in Rochester NY that didn't have them on the double-hung windows. Go figure!

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 1:49PM
Elraes Miller

Gads...you just saved me a long search and I didn't even know what to look for. Those will certainly work for any window I have.

Even better, if it can get better, Amazon carries them. With shipping calculated into the price they are about $5 each.

Thanks for taking the time to share the info. Sometimes the best and most unique items come from the UK. I didn't run a search

Here is a link that might be useful: Brighton Sash Fasteners

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 1:18PM
vjrnts

OH! Now I get it. I thought that the pic that lazygardens posted was the Brighton fastener. I didn't read closely enough, I guess.

Yeah, I've never seen the Brighton fasteners before, but Google turns up a whole lot of resources.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 7:36AM
lsimms

Well, I'm delighted that I could solve some problems. These latches are, yes, perfect for uneven windows. The ones I got from England are quite a bit "weightier" than my demure latches on the lower floors. They'll be a little bit of eye candy on the third floor.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 2:30AM
graywings123

Here is a photo of the Brighton:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™