Preserving homemade jerky?

ms_minnamouseOctober 25, 2012

K, so I lightly steamed some lean pork. No visible fat, very lean. Then I thinly sliced it and dried it for hours at about 160 Fahrenheit. Then I took it out and soaked it in a broth of ascorbic acid and potassium sorbate for an hour and then I redried it again at the same temperature for another few hours. Then I let it sit out for a couple of days to finish air drying.

I put it in a freezer bag with a paper towel (to absorb moisture, I hoped) and it's moldy several days later.

What gives? What did I do wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Perhaps this link will provide some insight. I suspect your finished product rehydrated from moisture in the air - enough so it molded. This is a potential problem with all home-dehydrated food. Even opening the containers and leaving the lid off too long will allow the food to rehydrate and is why I store food in small containers to lower the total number of times it might be exposed to air. For things like apple slices, which we use as a snack food, I'll first place them in a small snack-size zip-lock size bag, then stuff them in a 1/2-gallon jar. So each time the jar is opened, the apple slices are not exposed to moisture. No air-drying necessary for your jerky. Air-drying requires high heat (a minimum of 85-degrees F., and low humidity.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: National Center for Home Food Preservation - Drying Jerky

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 4:41AM
More Discussions
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™