she 'hoarded' her DH's body

talley_sue_nycNovember 22, 2006

for 3 years, she kept her husband's body on the bed (supposedly so she could keep collecting his Social Security)

Sources said police found the home where Joanne Iverson had lived for decades overrun with dirty clothes and items covering the floor, a consequence, they said, of her penchant for collecting things.

[She had wire hangers stuffed in boxes "as far as you could see," said one neighbor, and bags of clothes "everywhere."

](http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-nybone1122,0,5769562.story?coll=ny-top-headlines)

The Daily News story has a few more details, but leaves out the "hoarding" issue.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jiggreen

Oh my...that is just sick....I sure hope she slept somewhere else! From what the articles have said, she fits the description of a hoarder, but I think the "husband's body" thing was less of a hoarding issue and more of a financial issue. It's sad that an elderly person needs to stoop to such a level in order to apparently make ends meet.

Today I am going to increase our contribution amounts to our 401k's!!

jiggreen

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 12:35PM
klimkm

In the town where I used to live, someone did that. They buried the body of their brother or something in the backyard so they could keep getting his SS checks. Eventually someone missed him... Yuck!

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 4:23PM
bud_wi

In Wisconsin there were three sisters still living all together. One died and they just kept her there in her bed for years decomposing. The second one died at the kitchen table and the remaining sister kept her there, slumped on the table, for years.

The sad situation was discovered when neighbors complained about all the cats living there and authorities went in to investigate the horrible smell that was coming from the house.

I don't think it was done for financial reasons. They said the remaining sister kept saying the other two were "sleeping". There was no suspected foul play.

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 11:33PM
Julie_MI_Z5

YUCK is right!

Bookmark   November 23, 2006 at 5:58AM
quiltglo

Just think how alone these people must be. In a world full of people, they are so isolated they don't even know how to handle a death. It really doesn't make sense that the wife would have kept her husband there just to get the checks. If she was a traditional homemaker, she would have continued to get his SS checks anyway. Even if she had her own checks, she would get the larger. I bet she just couldn't handle him dying and it was easier to pretend he didn't die.

Gloria

Bookmark   November 23, 2006 at 4:59PM
spiritual_gardner

Unfortunately, hoarding is not an uncommon thing. Anyone could be living next to someone who does this.

SG

Bookmark   November 24, 2006 at 6:29PM
liz_h

Gloria, but by pretending he was alive, she got his check and hers. That doesn't mean that money is the reason, and certainly not the only reason.

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 8:25PM
scarlett2001

Maybe she didn't know her husband was dead. I often thought my ex had "expired" because he never moved from the TV for 11 years.

Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 6:28PM
quiltglo

Oh, you're baaadddd scarlett.

Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Designing a home office! What would you include?
We are gutting our home office .... creating a his...
Becky Berend
New cubicle. Organization and decorating help
Recently started a new job and now have a cubicle....
kaitie09
What to do with hundreds of CDs
I have nice storage boxes filled with hundreds of CDs...
janeway452
Can I get rid of my wedding gown?
Hi everyone. We went to spend the weekend with my parents...
tripletmom83
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
talley_sue_nyc
Sponsored Products
Presidio Tryne Bowl by Hubbardton Forge
$408.00 | Lumens
Kichler Nicholson Olde Bronze Bath 2-Light
$70.00 | PLFixtures
Yak Big Sky 24-Oz. Bottle
$14.99 | zulily
Simpatico White Flower Shea Yellow Hand Off-White
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
Twin 200TC Embroidered Hem Sheet Set - WHITE/FUCHSIA
$117.90 | Horchow
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Mojavi Thick Weave 34 in. O
Home Depot
Rezek Floor Mirror
Lightology
Maria Theresa Gold Thirteen-Light 27-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Golden Teak
Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™