How can I be more strategic with my time management?
I am a new member to the "Organizing the Home" forum, but on the advice of my mom, an avid lurker (hi mom!), I'm coming to you for feedback on a little experiment I did last week.
For seven days, I kept a log of how I'm spending my time. I am a wife, a mom to a 3-yr-old DS, I own my own business (work at home), I am a Flylady follower, and a impulsive list-maker. So, that's a little background about me.
Here's what the log showed:
7 days x 24 hrs = 168 hrs
Sleep = 59 hrs (avg of 8.4 hrs/night)
Cooking/Cleaning = 19 hrs
Time with DH, Time with Friends, on Phone with Friends (includes family mealtimes) = 18 hrs
Playing with DS = 17 hrs
Work/Email = 13.5 hrs
In the Car = 10 hrs
TV Time = 10 hrs
Personal Care (showers, hair/makeup, etc.) = 8 hrs
Volunteer Activities = 6 hrs
Shopping/Errands (groceries, etc.) = 3 hrs
Exercise = 2.5 hrs
Reading = 2 hrs
A few ways this week was atypical:
- This was a slow work week; A more typical week would be 20 hrs/week working.
- I had two friends fly in from out of state this week and stay with me, so this week had more "friends" time than normal (that's partly why I worked less than normal, too). A more typical week would be 7 hrs/week with friends.
- I watched more TV and read less than normal this week b/c I didn't get to the library to check out a novel. I like to "veg" in the evenings and b/c I didn't have a good book to read, I watched more TV than normal. A more typical week would be 6 hrs/week TV and 5 hrs/week reading.
- I spent more time cleaning this week because I was expecting company. A more typical week would be 10 hrs/week cleaning.
Where I'd like to tweak and/or what's missing:
- I did not exercise according to my schedule this week. Ideally, I'd run 4 x week (1 hr/each), I'd lift weights 3 x week (0.5 hr/each), and I'd do yoga 7 x week (0.5 hr/each) for a total of 9 hrs/week.
- I am not making time to journal or have devotional time, which I'd like to do 7 x week (0.5 hr/each) for a total of 3.5 hrs/week.
- I am already grouping errands to try and spend less time (and gas). Some of this time (about 3 hrs/week is for taking my son to preschool, which is tax-deductible travel since I use the 9 hrs/week he's in preschool for my business).
- I could probably function with 6.5 - 7 hrs of sleep/night (in fact, I usually do). For whatever reason, I was more tired this week (all that cleaning!) and went to bed earlier than usual.
Okay, so that's a "snapshot" of my life...here's where I'd like your input...
I feel like I am on a treadmill non-stop! I don't want to go through each day spending 110% of my energy. It's not that there aren't "down-time" activities in my days (time with friends, time with DH and DS, TV/reading, sleep), but there are definitely things I need to get to and never seem to have time or energy to do. I'm just posting to see if you guys see any no-brainer places to cut back, to create routines, to consolidate, to work smarter vs. work harder, etc. Also, I'm looking for tips/strategies that work for you in managing your time and saving your sanity!
Looking forward to a lively discussion!!...and thanks in advance. :)