Plaster + 70's stuff + Drywall Mess

zaneaudreyOctober 5, 2011

We live in a house built in 1941. We recently remodeled one of the bathrooms. We took out a nasty old 70's brown tub and replaced it with a new cast iron one, but in putting the new tub in we were forced to rip out a small section of the (warped) wall to fit the new tub in. We are now trying to fix the wall to look like the rest of the bathroom. When we ripped out the wall, we found layers of nastiness-- including several layers of linoleum-looking faux-"tile" sheets. The rest of the bathroom (and the rest of the house) is nice plaster with wood lathe, and we'd like to match this wall as closely as possible to the rest of the bathroom and rest of the house. We have bare drywall on it at the moment. Any suggestions on how to texture it to match the rest of the bathroom? It's a fine, fairly rounded texture.

(We tried to use a spray-on texture from a can and it really didn't work... but thankfully it scrapes off easily!)

This is a small section of wall (maybe 4 x 8 ft).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zaneaudrey

Basically I am wondering if we can use a thin coat of veneer plaster on the drywall, and if so, how do we get the rounded texture?

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 3:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

IF it's the rounded texture I'm thinking of.......a pic would help greatly.......it was done free handed by skilled artist from Italy. It was a way to hide the dips and scars in the wall.
I'm not sure how you'd recreate that.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™