Whipped Heavy Cream

dancinglemonsOctober 7, 2009

Hello all,

For years I tried to get heavy cream to hold a stiff whip for cakes and other items. I can get the cream to whip nicely and stay whipped for about 30 minutes and then it deflates. I could not get any recipe to work.

Recently I started using "Pasteurized Heavy Cream" with the ONLY INGREDIENT "Cream"!! Not another ingredient!! No preservatives, no carrageenan  nothing -- Just cream!! Not Ultra Pasteurized - just plain pasteurized. Voila!!! I use a drop or two of vanilla extract (pure w/o HFCS) and 1tsp per 1/2 pint of cream. You must whip to stiff peaks and be REALLY careful not to make butter :-))

My cream stays whipped and is that way the next day!!

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cloudy_christine

It's very, very hard to find. I'm always on the lookout for cream that's not ultrapasteurized, for the flavor, and for making crème fraiche.
The butterfat content can vary in either type. And that's the main thing determining how well it whips.

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 9:33AM
sheshebop

I always stabilize my whip cream with gelatin packets if I need to keep it a long period of time.

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 9:52AM
terri_pacnw

I find that using organic cream, and just enough sugar to
give it a sweetness...it will hold in a glass bowl with plastic wrap for 3-4 days..by the later days there will be a bit of water under the "whip"...but still tasty and fluffy. (and I use vanilla sugar~little sugar bowl with a vanilla bean that I add sugar too as it's depleted)

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 10:11AM
starlightfarm

I have never been able to find anything other than ultra-pastuerized. Any suggestions on where to find it?

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 3:43PM
dancinglemons

I get my pasteurized cream from W H O L E F O O D S and from T R A D E R J O E. Our local markets occasionally have organic heavy cream but when it is in stock all of the local cooking bloggers post about it and zippppp it's gone!!

You still must look at the label because both WF and TJ sell heavy cream with additives AND they also sell ultrapasteurized heavy cream.

Thanks for the tip about gelatin - when next I need the cream to 'stay put' longer I will try gelatin.

DL

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 2:23AM
pkramer60

Wouldn't a pinch of cream of tartar help? There is also a product from Dr. Oetker, a German company, called "Whip it" that will stabalize cream. I find it in more ethnic markets, such as the Polish ones here in Chicago.

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 8:31AM
foodonastump

dancinglemons - Thank You for telling us where to buy pasteurized! Both stores are fairly local for me but I rarely shop at either so I did't know that. And I've been looking, because that's what my ricotta recipe calls for.

Peppi - I believe you're thinking of egg whites.

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 8:42AM
jkom51

If I want my whipped cream to remain fluffy for a couple of days, I start with my KA mixer, but finish it with my balloon whisk. Hand-whisking makes for a more stable whipped cream, amazingly enough. I can whip it to soft peaks and not have to overwhip it to hold its volume.

I agree, organic heavy cream is best. Some supermarkets here even have their own house brand of it, some of which is pretty darn good.

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 12:50PM
colleenoz

I prefer UHT cream (the shelf-stable kind), though I actually store it in the back of my refrigerator so I don't have to remember to chill it for 24 hours pre-use. I like the mouth feel better, but it is almost impossible to whip to butter and stays stable for days without weeping either.

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 11:43AM
centralcacyclist

Colleen, it's very hard to find aseptically sealed milk products here. I've been looking for some recently.

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 11:55AM
CA Kate

If you have to keep the whipped cream for awhile it will last longer if you put it in a fine sieve over a bowl and cover lightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until needed.

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
I Thought about Grainlady and others today....
I made a loaf of bread and had all the ingredients...
carol_in_california
Need T&T recipe for Parmesan Broth
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for Parmesan broth?...
bbstx
That Time Of Year Again :)
Hi everyone, It's been a long weekend (both good and...
moonwolf_gw
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™