terrible market to sell

nana8October 24, 2009

We are trying to sell an old victorian, located just north of Lexington, Ky.. The home is completely remodeled, leaving the old chearteristic, tall ceilings, 4 fireplaces, etc.. The market is just terrible and we are not even having any viewings. Is everyone having these problems, or just our select group of older home lovers. It is priced below the appraisal price, and still no luck. Any sugestions??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Consider posting this in the "Buying ad Selling Homes forum, which is a more active forum than this one.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 7:54PM
graywings123

The market is just terrible and we are not even having any viewings. Is everyone having these problems

Bless your heart. It is not just you. The entire country has been in a real estate crisis for a couple of years.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 8:25PM
joyce_6333

We're in the same boat. We've had our 1916 Craftsman home on the market for 7 months. Not one viewing. We've done major repair work (electrical, plumbing, 2 new furnaces, 2 new A/Cs, new roof, new kitchen, updated baths, refinished woodwork and floors, and on and on!

I work for a RE firm, and homes are just not selling. Vacant land and farms are the only thing moving. One home in our town sold last week. Older home in need of very major repairs one a busy highway. Sold for $30,000! Seems even first time buyers are reluctant, despite all the incentives.

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 4:09PM
sautesmom

Depending on how badly you want to sell, have you considered advertising in an older homes magazine? (Bungalow, Victorian, etc.) If your house is beautifully period, at least it will be your target audience!

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 11:10PM
nana8

Thanks everyone for your comments. It is a one story victorian, with all the updated bells and whistles, with 11 ft ceilings, transom windows, hardwood floors, 4 fireplaces. I will try some of your sugestions, as I am desperate to move back to my family because of poor health.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 4:51PM
concretenprimroses

Your house sounds wonderful!
Good luck.
kathy

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 8:23AM
bungalow_house

Ugh. I too had a hard time selling an old Victorian just north of Lexington, but it was about 15 years ago!

Hang in there.

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™