Need Advice on Short-Term Storage during Remodel

yauponNovember 27, 2012

I must empty the contents of my living room, dining room, kitchen and garage for a remodel job that begins in January. It is anticipated to take take two to three months for the job to be finished. I plan to pack as much as possible in moving boxes. There will be no upholstered items going into storage.

I am debating using an outside covered porch to store everything instead of using a portable storage unit that must be stored at a warehouse. The porch is quite deep, and it does not get wet, even when there is heavy rain. My idea is to use large tarps (under and over all the boxes and furniture) as an added layer of protection.

I live in a climate with moderate temperature and typically low humidity during winter and early spring. Is my idea of storing things on the porch for a a short time not a very good one? Would I be better off spending $600+ for a portable storage unit?

If anyone has done this and had either a good or bad experience, I would be so glad to hear about it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I'd spend the money on a storage unit. It's only temporary. But be careful picking a storage unit. Make sure the place is "climate controlled" and well lit. You don't want dampness or bugs or anything bad to happen to your belongings.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 8:27AM
lazy_gardens

One word: Theft

Use this as a reason to de-clutter. If it's not worth paying to store, it's not worth keeping.

Look into "Storage Pods" - the company delivers the pod, you fill it and then they haul it away. The disadvantage is that you have no access to your stored stuff until it is returned, but that might not be an issue for you.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 10:10AM
cearbhaill

Second word- critters.
The last thing you want is a family of mice taking up residence in your stuff and peeing/pooping all over everything.
And they will.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 10:27AM
quasifish

A friend of mine has stored belongings for her adult children at different times, outside, over long periods of time in a somewhat similar manner. Their method is to pack everything into lidded storage tubs, and then cover the tubs with a good tarp. Apparently this has worked quite well for them. No idea what storage tubs are running these days, but moving boxes aren't that cheap either if you have to buy them. Wherever you end up storing your stuff, toss a box of mothballs around the base to discourage critters.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 2:15PM
CameronRobertson

I think the covered porch idea is good provided that you are certain it can keep out the heavy rain for a long period of time. Will there be any moisture from vapour or dew that is formed after the rain has stopped? You might wish to experiment with the porch for a few weeks and if it can last that long, then you can probably use it for the next few months during remodelling.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 4:55AM
emma

If you use storage, get the insurance and use pallets to stack stuff on. Three months is a long time, not sure I would opt for that. Did you get second opinions. I have never heard of one taking that long.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 3:41PM
LuAnn_in_PA

"I must empty the contents of my living room, dining room, kitchen and garage for a remodel job that begins in January. It is anticipated to take take two to three months for the job to be finished."

January + 2-3 months = now.

The OP should have the remodel done by now, so storage is no longer an issue.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 9:16AM
dreamgarden

I would be interested to know what the OP ended up doing.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
The ultimate organizer
Two words: WORKSHOP PEGBOARD !!!!!! :)
lazy_gardens
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
talley_sue_nyc
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
Sponsored Products
Herman Miller | AeronĀ® Posturefit Polished Aluminum
YLiving.com
Retrovia Antique Pewter One-Light Bath Light
$158.00 | Bellacor
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5085 Hand Shower - S5085BR
$567.92 | Hayneedle
Surprising Lounger Armchair w/ Footrest - Fermob
$766.00 | HORNE
Compamia ISP858-WH Miami Square Resin Side Table - White - ISP858-WH
$99.00 | Hayneedle