Orange Champagne Vinegar

sue_ctOctober 30, 2009

I picked up some Orange Champagne Vinegar at Trader Joes. I don't get there often and I would hate to waste it. Can any of you share your favorite recipes for using this? Just simple oil and vinegar? Has anyone tried other variations to a vinaigrette like adding Dijon mustard? I only bought one bottle so if I experiment too much, the bottle will be gone by the time I find out what works best with it! Its not impossible to get more, but it is about 20-30 minutes away and I usually only go when I need to plan a trip to Whole foods also, since those are about the only places I can find closer.

Do you usually pair it with a salad with dried fruits and nuts like cranberries and almonds? Any other good ways to use it other than salad greens?

Thanks, I can't wait to try it. If I like it and find several ways to use it I could always pick up more than one bottle next time.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

Ummmm....love that stuff! I use it on a salad of green leaf lettuce, drained mandarin oranges, green onions, and toasted slivers of almonds. I add a dash of orange juice and a pinch of sugar to the oil and vinegar dressing along with some salt and pepper.

I reserve this special vinegar just for green and fruit salads. I bet dried cranberries and fresh orange segments would be a good pairing too.

Teresa

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 7:18AM
eileenlaunonen

Im looking at a bottle I bought at TJ and never used it...glad to see what to do with it!

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 9:25AM
lindac

You could make a vinaigrette using Dijon and some marmalade to beef up the orange flavor....I think it would be good. But I suspect the orange flavor isn't very pronounced....
Champagne vinegar is much more "gentle" than cider vinegar and certainly than white vinegar, I use it fairly regularly for a vinaigrette...or a "toss and dump"....that salad where you toss the leaves with the oil, vinegar salt, pepper and seasonings as you add the seasonings.
Linda c

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 10:50AM
riverrat1

Love the stuff! I don't have a Trader Joe's near me so Peppi sent me some. I make a salad dressing with it. I eyeball the amounts but the ingredients are.

Orange champagne vinegar, EVOO, fresh garlic, salt, pepper, sometimes a little mustard and a very tiny, tiny bit of Mayo. The mayo helps emulsify the dressing and you don't taste it.

I'm like Teresa, I reserve this vinegar for fruit salads and fresh salad.

I'll have to try the added orange juice. Great idea!

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 10:58AM
annie1992

Yup, I have the same stuff. It is pretty delicate so I save it for salad dressing as has been mentioned by others.

I don't really like plain viniagrette dressings, but they're OK made with the orange champagne vinegar. I usually make the basic viniagrette then stir in some homemade yogurt and make a creamy dressing to have on a salad with beets and mandarin oranges and pecans. As little lettuce as possible, LOL.

Annie

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 11:51AM
compumom

I've not used this one, but I do have another orange vinegar that I pair with a light EVOO and use on a beet salad with topped with feta and candied pecans on a bed of arugula.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 12:26PM
sue_ct

Thanks everyone. Using just what I had on hand, I made a salad with mixed baby greens, dried cherries and cranberries, and slivered almonds. I also added a little cubed cheese. For the dressing, 1 T orange champagne vinegar, 3 T Stonehouse tangerine olive oil (Had a small bottle of this I wanted to try anyway), 1 T Orange Juice, a dab of Dijon mustard, about 1/8-1/4 tsp, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. The Dijon did add to it, I tried it before adding it and like it better with the mustard. I did enjoy it, but orange segments were definitely not needed because it was quite "orangey". I wish I had tried it with just the tangerine oil and orange vinegar before adding the OJ. It might not have needed it, or I would have then added it a tsp at a time. I will experiment some more omitting the OJ until last and only if needed. A lot of people on this forum seem to have this vinegar si sine giid variations on dressings to use it on would be nice.

Sue

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 4:33PM
trixietx

Orange champagne vinegar is on my to look for list when I go shopping and if I can't find it, I bet I can order it online.
I make a salad of mixed greens, toasted almonds, red onions and mandarin oranges. I would like to make the dressing using the orange champagne vinegar instead of white wine vinegar that I usually use. I think it would be so good.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 6:34PM
sue_ct

Wow, how did that happen? I meant to say having a several variations of dressings to make with it would be nice. It would be nice with an orange salad, definitely. I would go easy on additional orange flavorings if I used it with oranges in the salad, though. JMHO.

Sue

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Favorite pies?
My son attends NERD school; Kidding! They are a bunch...
rob333
What happened? Scientifically speaking...
Well, I'm hoping there may be someone here to give...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
Easter Sunday Dessert
My favorite dessert is a good home-made pound cake....
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™