sports closet

hbh170October 19, 2008

I am trying to design a closet for sporting goods. It needs to hold golf clubs (three bags), skis - 4 pairs; tennis rackets - 4; and all the accessories with golf, tennis and skiing. My space (new construction) is 7' 9" wide and 8' tall with a depth of 32". Has anyone put together a sports closet? Any suggestions on the design or resources for the closet are appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryliz

I don't know much about golf equipment, but as a downhill skier, I can say that you do NOT want the type of ski hanger that is just two posts that hold the skis hanging by the tips. It is very hard on the skis to store them that way. You want the type of ski rack that you see in the ski shops -- a stable box on the ground that holds the skis vertically, with the tails in the little compartments of the box. I have seen these for sale online. If you have twin tips, you might have to make something custom.

Good luck on your project! Be sure to design in some flexibility for changing needs in the future.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 9:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mommabird

What a dream come true to have a sports closet! I have a set of shelves on my enclosed breezeway that is loosely the storage area for tennis, baseball, soccer, & football equipment. Things are always spilling off onto the floor and it's a real mess. The skis & poles are in the garage just kind of falling all over the place. Good luck and please post pictures when you're done, we'd all LOVE to see the finished storage area!

My small suggestion: a shelf with plastic storage bins for balls, one for golf balls and one for tennis balls. A bin for ski gloves, goggles, etc. A bin for golf gloves, towels, etc. A bin for tennis gove, visor, etc.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Cleaning Service--what do you have them do?
I enjoy reading this forum and now understand the difference...
bstnjohn
Useful article on closets from TOH
I'm impressed with this article from This Old House,...
violetwest
Please recommend a good paper shredder
I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max)...
bossyvossy
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™